I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
<<Little off topic >>
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 12:26PM

I know this is some what off topic,I apologize need to know for the sake of an arrgument and friendship!
The only forum I know is this one.
Question? If you was asked to go fishing with someone else in their boat,what's the common practice?
Do you share cost in gas for boat and tow vehicle,cost for ramp fees plus bait if you don't use any??
Please submit your answers directly to me at ([email protected]) to save space .
Thanks <<<<DON>>>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: <<Little off topic >>
Posted by: Sean Doran (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:00PM

Sent you and email, but keep in mind that boats don't run on thanks.

Sean

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:09PM

My drive to the Gulf is about 70 miles. My two fishing buddies take care of the gas and bait. I launch at state owned ramps and therefore don't pay ramp fees. It usually works out at $15 a piece. We fish out of a 16 ft. aluminum boat with a 50 hp engine and don't use much gas fishing. I pitch in $5 for bait.

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:56PM

Don,
I am typically the non-boater. If it is a friend and we are fun fishing and I ride with him to the ramp, then I pay half gas in vehicle and half of the boat. I also pay launch and most likely will bring lunch for both of us, or buy a meal after fishing. If I lose any baits, I replace, if we use live bait, I pay half.
If it is a tournament, I pay half boat gas and any baits that I use/lose.

On the flipside, as a boater, I work out the details before hand. I usually ask to just split everything 50/50 (gas, launch, bait).
But I have found that what ever is offered is what I should take and should never depend on someone else to "fund" my fishing trip.

Simple enough. Golden Rule applies.
I have found that this is a successful way to keep fishing buddies and friends.

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 02:57PM

If I invite a friend on my boat I might not expect any payment. If he offers - great. If I plan a trip with friends we usually split gas.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 03:19PM

i never ask for money, nor do i allow my friends to give me any.

1) if i were inviting a friend over to my house for a bbq, i would'nt ask for him to share the costs of the food. a guest on my boat is no different than a guest in my house.

2) the fishing trip doesnt become more expensive when my friend comes on board. if he werent there i would still have to fill the boat up with fuel.

3) anyone who can't afford to pay the expenses of a boat probably shouldnt own a boat to begin with.

just my $0.02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 03:20PM by Lance Lapeyrouse.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.91.109.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 03:34PM

If you can not pay even a little, let him know. he may still let you go. But get some thing ! There is no free ride in life.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 03:50PM

several of my friends and myself have a boat, we all offer to split the gas and more than likely pay for atleast one meal.
we have a friend thats a guide, when he takes us, we have to hide money on his boat then call him later.

Atleast offer to help with cost, then again if he only invited you to help with the cost he should have said so.

anyone that owns a boat knows about the cost of having one, there is no way i would allow myself to get a completely free trip, i would find some way to show my appreciation for being taken fishing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 03:52PM by Jim Creed.

Posted by: Ronald L. Scheetz (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 03:59PM

If I were asked to go on a fishing trip and nothing was said about price or cost, I would ask what my share of the cost is. Don't assume it's free, unless you are told that by the person doing the inviting. I've been on to many Lake Erie walleye trips to assume it's free. Everything these days is expensive, it won't hurt your friendship.

Ron

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 04:09PM

Donald,
If someone asks me to take me fishing with his boat, I will generally ask that I pay for the gas for his truck or tow vehicle.
This is in exchange for the ride, as well as the use and wear and tear on his boat.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 04:37PM

It looks that all fisherman are on the same page.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 05:36PM

Whenever I go on another person's boat, I pay for everything ... IF they will allow it. As an owner of a great number of boats over the years, I very well know that paying for only the raw expenses is an absolute steal on any boat, at any time.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 07:47PM

One thing to consider is here in NJ if you receive any type of compensation whether it be cash or goods you are considered for hire, then you need a captains license,tax I D number and the rest that goes along. Sounds extreme but that is the law. This is whether you ask for the compensation or not. Of course standard practice is to help with the costs and look the other way .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.64.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 09:47PM

I hope posting a link to another forum isn't against the rules but I frequent this one alot and it was a pretty hot topic this past summer.

[www.bigbendfishing.net]

Personally, I'm going regardless of whether or not somebody else goes it still takes gas, ice, drinks, etc...... If somebody wants to chip in then buy me a burger and a beer when we're done or invite me on your boat.
My $0.02, sayin'

Date: February 09, 2009 09:49PM

Fred I believe it is the same in Washington or you have to have a guide lic. In any case I personally believe that if you are invited on a fishing trip. Sense the guy who owns the boat uses his rig tow it, his fuel, his insurance. Without asking you should should figure out a way to compensate him/her . Maybe build him/her a custom fishing rod. Just leave it on the boat when you get back. Just tell him you would like his opinion on how the rod works while you guys/gals are out fishing.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 09, 2009 09:57PM

Hey Matthew who cares were you go in the cyber world. If you think that you found an other great site. (Which I doubt ). Just keep it to your self and send everyone an email. That way no one knows and there is no conflict.
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:27AM

If it's a multi-day trip, we definitely work out the cost sharing before the trip. On a day trip, I'll split the cost if someone offers, but no more than fair share. I won't accept more than their share of the cost. This can come in buying food, splitting gas. If they don't offer, I don't care. I didn't invite them to defray the cost of the trip, but to have their company and share the boat. I was going anyway, but I prefer to fish with someone rather than alone most of the time. A guy by himself in a big boat could be a loser with no friends. :-)

Terry

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.187.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:10AM

Bob,
I'm not exactly sure how to take that. I thought it was a good conversation among like minded people. If linking to another another forum is against the rules for this one then by all means delete the link. I guess I could have sent everyone an e-mail but that takes away from the open discussion.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: February 12, 2009 10:41AM

Around here it is customary to share the costs. While everyone that I know can afford the costs, it is felt that it's just not fair for the Capt. to burden all of the expenses. However, it's up to the Capt. to accept or reject the offer. I have never taken a penny from the guys fishing with me unless the person was VERY adamant about paying his way. In that case, I felt it was more gracious to accept. THat's only happened twice.

Date: February 12, 2009 07:36PM

Matthew I apologize for the way I made my comment. Check with Tom about mentioning other sites. There has been a problem with some sites. Those of us who have been here for awhile know the crux of the situation. I well let Tom explain it Tom maybe you can address the situation to Matthew in a email.

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster