I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st split grip rod
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:33PM

I am building my 1st split grip rod for a customer. I was fortunate enough to find out what he wanted to use on this rod for a reel. Acoording to what the rod wants to do with the reel, the balance point puts the center of the reel up 16" from the end of the rod. The rod blank is a SCIV 6'10" St.Croix. The rod feels good to me, but I'm not sure about the long fighting but section. I am using Micro guides on this rod so there is not much weight toward the tip. It will probably be fine, but I just thought I would see what the board has to say about it.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st split grip rod
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:02PM

What is the application? Since it's a 6'10" rod, I am guessing that the rod length means something to your customer. I would definitely ask the customer his opinion. Most bass fisherman I know, including myself, don't like a long rear grip. I just measured all my baitcasters, factory and custom built, worm rod, jig rod, crankin rod, topwater rod, etc, and they are all 10.5" to 12" to the center of the reel. Just my opinion.
Steve

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:02PM

Steve-that sounds like you're building a casting rod-give us some more info about how it will be used, etc. For "normal" use as a bass rod that rear grip length sounds really long-but I only as a rule think in bass rod terms. For some uses that may be a appropriate length.

Chris

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:08PM

What is the blank power and weight without anything on it. Remember when you add the guides and finish you will again be shifting the CG forward some more. When you determined the balance point was the rear grip in place? The 16 inches you note may prove to be a little cumbesome when transferring the rod across the body. If this is a bass rod most rear grips for rods in that length are 10 inches or less. Rear grips do have limitations pertaining to various techniques and angler preference. Attaining balance at the center of the reel may not prove to be the best course of action. Build it as light as you can in a functional manner and you may find the the balance point just in front of the seat will be the more appropriate choice. Most people who build rods will find that balance at the center of the reel will require butt counter weights or just accept the fact that the best rod may not be balanced at the center of the seat. Good luck on dealing with a very complex issue.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:10PM

I am about to wrap a 7'11" SCIV blank and am only going with an 11.5" to 12" to the back of the reel seat. 16" sounds like it would be a little long on a 6'10" blank...

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:17PM

thanks everyone. The rod will be used for smallmouth fishing, it is a casting rod, and the reel is a Quantum Accurist. I think it looks too long, it is very comfortable in your hand, but my 1st instinct was the but as Bill stated would catch your shirt as you switch hands after casting. I have the butt section dry fitted but not glued yet, I made the grip quite short as to only contact the amount of your hand that would touch it when you palm the reel. I think I'm going to shorten it up. The customer doesn't really know what he wants, he just said the he trusts my judgement, so I can only go off of what I would like. I keep going back to something that I heard on this board about, if it doesn't look right it probably isn't right, but sometimes in custom rod building your eyes are so adjusted to what looks "correct " because you have been staring at mass produced rods your entire life. I welcome any added advice, and thanks for the advice that I have recieved up to this point.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:55PM

If you are going light with a split seat I suspect that a rear grip length including butt cap will be in the 9 - 9.5 inch range measured from the rear of the reel seat. You probably can not go overboard with weight reduction but the balance issue can easily deceive many - remember you are also going to tie on a lure that has weight in the end -

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2009 07:58AM

Not sure I understand where you're coming from - surely you're not positioning the reel on the rod by where it balances that blank, are you?

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 08:30AM

Most of my split grip bass rods end up having a measurement of 9" -12" from the butt cap to the back of the reelseat, it varies by technique and angler preference.

One other thing I noticed that you should keep in mind is grip length for the front part of the split. Most of my grip sections for the portion that is help while casting end up being about 4". This is so the angler can entirely hold onto a grip while casting. It is NOT comfortable over the course of the day to have the heel of your hand resting on the blank while you are casting, it @#$%& in fact. Remember, most bass fisherman change hands after the cast. to position their hand palming the reel while working the lure, when we cast our hand is behind the reelseat like normal.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:18PM

I like longer grips on my flippin sticks, easier to bury in your stomach and get good leverage. 16 inches would be to long for me though. On my earlier rods, I worked so hard to balance the rods right at the reelseat. I didn't move the reelseat to where it balanced, but with weights or balancing kits in the butt. I ended up with some heavier rods, but they would balance on your finger right a the reels center point. Hook on a weightless senko, and all that time balancing was gone. Now, I sometimes add a little in the butt if it is to front heavy, but it seemed like a waste of time to try to get it perfect. When I build a rod for someone, I have a few mock up handles that I let people try to see what seems the right length and most comfortable to them.

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 02:46PM

I guess the reason I was asking is because I never really balance my rods, I ask the customer what lenth handle they would like and they pick out a reel seat that they like and I build it. Thanks for your input, I'm going to move it back.

Steve

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 03:16PM

You are on the right track, let the intended use determine the handle length, build using the lightest possible parts and construction, and if you still decide that the rod is too tip heavy add the least possible weight to the butt to get the balance point that you want.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 05:43PM

16" is way too long. For that length of blank, 9" to 11" of rear grip is plenty long. If the final "balance" is that big of a deal to you, don't epoxy the butt cap on until the rod is completely finished, add some weight into the end of the rod blank until balanced, then epoxy the butt cap over it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster