I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom K. regarding SJ700
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:19AM

Tom,

I have referred numerous times through the years to your "Smallmouth Rod" article using the SJ700 blank. I am currently working on a rod very similar and was wondering if you could tell me the distance from spool face to butt guide on both your 6lb (using Y20 guide) and 8lb (using Y25 guide) versions. I am curious to see if it will be similar to something I am doing. Thanks.

MM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom K. regarding SJ700
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:24AM

Unless you're using the same reel that I am, those distances won't be the same. Nor should they be.

But, in my own case, with the Quantum Kinetic 1000, the 20 is set at about 19-3/4 inches.

If your reel has a larger spool than this particular 1000, you will probably need to move to the 25 guide to get the height for the best line path and still stay in the 19 to 21 inch range.

Date: February 04, 2009 09:28AM

My Shimano Symetre 2000 has a spool diameter of ~41mm. I assume the Kinetic 1000 is a bit smaller?

Date: February 04, 2009 09:31AM

35mm, and probably a shorter reel stem than your 2000.

If you try a 20 just plot it on the straight line path but it will probably require that you move it up a bit. If you have to go too far, I'd fall back on the 25 just for the additional height.

Date: February 04, 2009 09:48AM

Your a machine Tom. I knew you would know that off the top of your head. I'm pursuing these questions because I am wanting to keep the guides on this rod as light as possible, and while I may fish it with something as stiff as 8lb Trilene XL, I will probably more often go with 6lb mono or with 10lb braid. If I go with the BYAG20 and pull the choke guide back to create a straight line path that way, which will mean a choker distance of less than 26 as oppose to the 27x rule, do you think I'll be looking at a decrease in distance? Worse case, will 8lb mono with a 20 guide and 25x choker distance be that bad?

Date: February 04, 2009 09:58AM

Weight savings can be important, but you have to be reasonable about such things. Using a 25 instead of a 20 isn't going to add any appreciable weight in a location that is going to cost you much of anything. Such tiny weight increases on the lowest 1/3rd of the rod are molehills, not mountains.

The rest of your question can only be answered by trying it. Tape up a set and go cast it a couple dozen times. Then tape up another set and cast another couple dozen times. You'll know which set up is going to work best for you once you do that.

Date: February 04, 2009 10:03AM

Thanks Tom.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.146.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 11:03AM

marty
here is a site to check guide weight: [rodcomponents.hostrator.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:32AM

MM,
Most of my spinning rods have the first guide at a spacing of about 16 to 25 inches, depending on the overall length of the rod etc.

My first starting point for most rods is about 20 inches. I may tweak the guide up or down a bit from there.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:39AM

I would think the butt guide location would have everything to do with the reel and line sizes and nothing to do with rod length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster