I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Cork Grip Question
Posted by: Brent Glover (---.dsl.gotricounty.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:03AM

Ok guys, so i tackled the 1st hurdle and was able to ream out the inside diameter of the cork grips and the reel seat arbor. Have confirmed that they all fit over the blank as planned. Have not epoxied yet, waiting on The Mudhole Fairy to visit my front door.....anyday now. Question is.....the butt end of my cork grip now has a large hole (between 3/8" and 1/2") left from the reaming process. In the handle kit there is a "cork stopper" looking piece that is of the same type/color of cork as the butt end......i am assuming that this is to be epoxied in the hole following the mounting of the grip assembly to the blank.....and then trim down and sand smooth once it sets up.....am I on the right track here????? Help/Tips very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Cork Grip Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:14AM

Your on the right track, just remember to wipe of all extra epoxy when gluing in the plug. Epoxy and cork are two different hardness's.

Posted by: Brian Goodwin (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:30AM

This is also a good place to add a little flair if you want. Rather than using the plug you can add a coin or button or whatever your imagination can come up with to cover the hole. I build rods for a bass club as trophies for their points champion and allways add a coin with the year they won to date the rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 10:24PM

Brent,

One of the problems that you may encounter is too small a plug to fill the hole.
Plugs are commonly supplied in 1/4 or 3/8th in sizes. However, many times the size of the rod butt is much larger and thus the plug is too small.

To solve this problem, I picked up an inexpensive set of "plug cutters". This is a set of cutters that fit into my drill press and it allows me to cut plugs, ranging in size from 1/4 up to 3/4 inch plugs.

Go to Harborfreight.com and check their plug cutters.

They are not super quality, but work just fine for this purpose.

Again, I cut the necessary plug, if necessary, slightly ream the extreme butt of the rod larger if needed to fit the plug size, and glue it in place with epoxy. Then, I simply use my disk sander to sand the end of the butt plug flush with the rest of the grip.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:38PM

Brent-
Another easy option can be found at your local auto parts store-the fasteners used to attach trim panels on car interiors or skirts in fender wells come in different sizes and colors-most are black. They are round. generally flat. and have a stem that has "barbs" on it so when pushed through a hole they grab and stay put. The stems are different sizes, up to at least 3/8" and even if not snug in the butt of your grip the barbs provide a surface that your gel or paste epoxy can grab. Makes an attractive, lightweight alternative to cutting a plug and provides some protection for the end of your grip also. Easy.

Chris

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:06AM

Chris,
Your response PROVES the value of this board. I think everybody on here is creative and crafty and all of us are looking for "outside-the-box" solutions or just other ways to do things. I have never even thought to look in an auto parts store for "gizzmos" to use, but I will now.

Thanks for the GREAT tip....off to AutoZone......
Adam

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:43AM

Another option is Home Depot Carriage Bolts. They are the ones with the rounded head. if the rod is long and you may need some weight for balance. They can be filed and polished, then glued into the butt. They come in may different sizes

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 01:04PM

One more option is just to just pick up a cork bottle stopper at your local hardware store.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 07:37PM

I have used the same fasteners that Chris did,real neat just pop them in.If you use the right size they are quite tight,sometimes I might just put a small drop of hi-bond.
Also if you need a larger size I have gotten some from a heavy equipment dealer.However they do cost more money.<<<<DON>>>>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster