I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sewing machine pulley
Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:21PM

I took a sewing machine apart to build a rod wrapper, the pulley on the motor is a belt drive and the shaft is 3/16 or 187.5 ID , I see mud hole sells the small pulleys for O ring belts, but doesnt list pulley ID, will contact them but was wondering if anybody here new the ID of most of these pulleys. thanks scotty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sewing machine pulley
Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 11:13PM

I've stripped a few sewing machines to get motors over the years, most were either 1/4" or 5/16" shaft motors, I have one of the 1/4" motors here in front of me now, its "D" shaped and measures .2497" on my calipers.
The pulleys on my Rodsmith and Amtak rod wrappers are both 1/4" ID pulleys as well. I would assume that the replacement pulleys are the same from Mudhole.
The drier motor is also 1/4" shaft or 1/4" inch pulley ID as well.

The machines I stripped were 2 older Singers and a Sears, probably 20 years old or more. All three gave me nearly identical motors, as well as being the same as what comes on the factory wrappers as well.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.41.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 12:34PM

I used the belt and assembly from the sewing machine to make mine.

Posted by: Gene Carriker (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: January 28, 2009 11:02PM

I called my local sewing machine repair shop and purchased a pulley for one dollar ... he had several sizes so I just took the motor along and he hooked me up.
Remember to ask for a used pulley or they will charge a new price but my guy had a whole little drawer full !!
Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 12:12AM by Gene Carriker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster