I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

very ultra light rod blank 4.5' 1-4 lbs line wt??
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 04:43PM

I am looking for an ultra light rod blank and am having trouble locating one that small. I would like to build a very light rod for my son as a bluegill rod. Something in the 4-4.5' range and 1-4lb line weight. I was wondering if I could cut back a longer rod (9ft 4wt fly rod upper half) or maybe use the top half of a longer more limber rod. He is only 4yrs old so a 5-6' will be a little tough to deal with right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: very ultra light rod blank 4.5' 1-4 lbs line wt??
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2009 05:04PM

Batson SP600 ... 5'0", 1-4# line. It will definitely NOT be too much rod for him. However, if you really have to do so - cut the blank by 6". The good news is that it is a VERY inexpensive blank.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:22PM

Eric

At one time I purchased bundles of fly rod tips (5 to a bundle as I recall) from Angler's Workshop which produced some nice, inexpensive ultralight rods. You might want to contact them to see if they're still offered.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:33PM

There was a bunch of rod tips in the barrel up front last Saturday. Have no idea their power though.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.omega12.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: January 27, 2009 09:50PM

St Croix 2S46ULM and 3S46ULF. Both are 4'6", 2-6 lbs line though but wonderful little blanks for kiddies.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 09:59AM

Have used the Batson 600 blank and also fly rod tip for rods for our grand kids. The fly rod tipped rod with a zebco reel is a great rod for bluegill and 4 year olds. Is as much fun watching them caught the fish as fishing for me. The kids really like stickers and a cheap tackle box with lots of sticker using their favorite people is a great way to complete their outfit with the rod. Some states like Missouri will issue certifcates for first time fisherpersons with picture of their caught great idea.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 28, 2009 12:28PM

Thanks for the help, I called the guys over at Anglers Workshop and I have 2 of the 'G-Tips" on the way. I thought I would build a pair of them for my son and his cousin. For both with delivery it was less than even the most inexpensive blank! Thanks again for the help.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.206.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 12:36PM

Got guides, seat, thread, finish ?? try to get all you need from one place, cheaper.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 29, 2009 01:48PM

No not yet, I want to make my own handle but need to get the lathe in place first so there will be alittel time before the whole thing goes together. I do agree with you and they are sending me a new catalog so I can put it all together. I am still undecided on how I want to do it. I am looking at a slid ring type setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster