I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where to get snake skins
Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 12:20AM

Where is the best place to buy snake skins? I am really wanting to try some snake inlays on my next rod and would like to get the best deal and skins that I can. I also have never done anything like this before so I could use some pointers as well!

Thanks
Mike Nash

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to get snake skins
Date: January 26, 2009 01:35AM

How wide were the pieces? I was just searching and found this page (http://www.genuineostrichhides.com/rattle-snake-hides.html) (please delete link if this is against fourm rules!!). If this is the same product it would be one heck of a lot cheaper that getting the $2.50 per inch mudhole stuff. Snake skin is snake skin right?

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 05:11AM

Ther is a lady from Texas that specializes is snake skin. To the question is it snake skin. of course it is snake skin . Where do you think the snakes got it from a chicken LOL You do know snake tast like chicken LOL
Good Wrap Bob

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 07:51AM

The "best" place to get snake skins = ICRBE in a few weeks ... High Point, NC. There will be a nice booth there FULL of wiggly things.

The second best place IMO would be Mud Hole (vendor list to left). They get their skins from a very good source that does a great job with the tanning.

IF you were planning to buy at least $100-150 worth of skins, you could go direct ... otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. You might save $0.50/inch, but you will end up paying separate freight. When ordering from Mud Hole, it rides with the rest of the order.

There is another issue with trying to "save" money ... you might get burned. Unless you know what you are buying and from whom, stick with known entities. If you aren't happy with a product from a vendor to the left, you are MUCH more likely to have recourse than from some anonymous company you find on the internet.

BTW, you will only need 6-8" to do a very nice inlay on a rod.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 10:37AM

First off, let me say I haven't worked w/ snakeskins, but I did sit in on a local seminar by Mary Lou last year. From what I remember, it's important to know what preservatives were used on the skins, as some aren't compatible for our purposes, and may have to be "de-oiled" before application. May be another reason to stick w/ a rodbuilding source, at least until you've done a few.
Jerry

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 02:36PM

Jerry and Jim make very good points. The best place I have found is The Skin Shop. I don't think they have a web address, but they are the folks who have the booth at the ICRBE in High Point. Mary Lou VanDeriot is also a good supplier. She is the the lady talked about above in Texas. You can contact her by doing a search on her name in the search function above. Also look at Ray Adams site to get Pat VanZandt's tutorial on using snake skins on rods>>>----------->[rodbuilding_tutorials.webs.com]

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.152.119.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 04:27PM

For Snake Skins and Instructions follow the link below:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: January 26, 2009 05:54PM

Just called in the order and got rod supplies and snake skin! I would just like to say that it was another great shopping experiance with mudhole. The guy I talked with was very nice and had just done a snake wrap. I could tell that he was into the hobby and really gave a crap about what he was selling. That kind of thing is not too common these days. Thanks also to everyone for the advice on the skin. I will go wholesale for skins if I really get into the skin inlay thing and do well at it.

Mike

Posted by: Brandan Martin (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 09:16AM

I bought three skins at the ICRBE in High Point last year at what I thought were very fair prices. The folks in the both were extremely helpful pointing me in the right direction to get started. I've made 5-6 rods with the snake skin over the past year and was thrilled with the results. I consider it very easy to work with and it looks amazing under epoxy. If you are going to the show talk to the people selling the skin. They had rods on display that will make you very excited to try it. I posted a couple pictures of a fly rod I recently built with snake skin if anyone wants to see what a total novice can do with the stuff. Check it out under Brandan Martin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster