I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide feet prep
Posted by: Eric Burkhart (216.174.22.---)
Date: January 23, 2009 10:10AM

Having read as much as I can on this subject. I have a rookie question. By all apearances the guides that came with my kit look like they are tapered and shaped very well, even when I look under magnification they seem well shaped. Can I assume that the material I'm reading is dated and guides are produced better nowadays? Or that I just received very well made guides ? Also should I still
file lightly to remove any unseen burrs (they feel very smooth) so I guess I should rough slightly for better thread grip? Guidance please.
thanks Eric

P.S. I did a practice wrap on a foot on old piece of rod and ramp looks smooth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide feet prep
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2009 10:14AM

I doubt they're prepped as well as you think they are. Many guides have always come "pre-ground" but nearly all require touch up work.

You'll know if they're good enough the first time you wrap the thread up onto one. If it climbs up easily you're okay. If it doesn't, you have some work to do.

You neither need nor want to roughen them anywhere.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 23, 2009 12:30PM

Eric,
I ordered some that came the same way and I am new to this so maybe this is not a good idea but... I file and sand my guide feet down considerably more than those pre ground ones are. The lower edge of my guide feet are so sharp I have cut myself with them. The sharper they are the smoother the thread transition onto the guides I think.
James

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 02:24PM

Pictures are worth a thousand words:

The degree of guide prep is related to the size of thread used -

A professional at work:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:37PM

Eric,
I use a 1 inch wide belt sander loaded with 240 or 320 grit sanding belt.
Then, I place the sander at right angles to me and use the spinning belt to shape the guide feet.
I shape the guide feet, so that the end of the guide end has a knife edge. Then, I continue the taper so that there is no sudden change in the ramp of the guide.

This makes it very simple to use A sized thread to wrap guides on with minimum effort and little hassle.

If you have a "step" at the end of the guide, or a "steep" ramp - up the guide, you are sure to have issues with thinner thread. If you are using D sized thread, you will have fewer problems, because the thickness of the thread can easily be equal to the step on the guide foot. If so, one wrap of thread will act as a block for the next wrap. However, if using thin thread, the thread at the edge of the guide will be too low to stop the first thread on the guide foot from slipping back off the guide. Also, if the ramp on the guide foot is too steep, the thread will tend to slip back down the guide foot - especially with finer thread.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
To hold small diameter guides - that are really too small to be held with your fingers; I use a tapered stick like the stick of an artists brush to hole the guide. I insert the stick taper into the guide until it is a snug fit on the inside of the guide and then use the stick to hold the guide during the guide prep. Simple and easy and inexpensive.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: January 24, 2009 06:46AM

Eric, the picture link in Bill's post is in my opinion a little extreme for guide prep. Like I said, it is just my opinion, but I feel a guide foot ground to that extent loses some stability by being narrowed so much. If the lip is sharp like a knife and there aren't any edges along the sides to make the guide wraps uneven, then it is prepped well enough. Be sure the lower side of the lip, the part against the blank, hasn't built up a burr from grinding or filing.

Posted by: Tony Scott (12.130.117.---)
Date: March 14, 2011 04:34PM

Hmmmmm. Positioning the belt sander sideways could help you see the angle of attack you are taking on the top of the feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster