I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EPOXY MIXING CUPS
Posted by: Eric Burkhart (216.174.22.---)
Date: January 22, 2009 01:44PM

Excuse a rookie question please. My rod kit did not come with mixing cups. Should they be a particular material ? 2 part flex coat epoxy from H&H. I'm getting excited now first project. Built rod wrapper from plans I found, have all parts in. have marked spline. and taped off temporary guide spacing. will work cork grip and reel seat tonight. Just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row. Building 3pc 8-6" 5 wt. matte charcoa blank (maker unknown) will have garnet wraps. standard walnut insert on U3 uplocking seat. Any other advise appreciated as well.
thanks Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EPOXY MIXING CUPS
Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 22, 2009 01:57PM

You can purchase compatible mixing cups at one of the suppliers on the left, or, like me, use those 2oz. "sample" cups that restaurants use. You can find them at any restaurant supply store.

Walt

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 01:57PM

Grab a shot glass to mix in since you don't have the cups, wash it out with alcohol after. Once you SLOWLY mix the finish for several minutes, pour it out on a piece of aluminum foil for a longer working time. Good luck! and welcome to the addiction!

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2009 01:58PM

One of the best things to buy and use is a simple shot glass. It can be kept clean, has nothing in it to react with the epoxy and can be cleaned out with a quick wipe from an alcohol soaked paper towel. Unless you drop it, it'll last forever.

Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:06PM

I found a stack of 100 cups identical to what come with a FlexCoat Kit at a local hooby house that specializes in remote control planes/cars/boats. I guess they use them to mix paint it. I paid about $10 bucks for the bunch. 100 cups will last most builders a long time. BUT, after these are gone, I will try a shot glass.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:24PM

Your local pharmacy will usually be willing to let you have a few of the plastic cups they keep for folks to use when dispensing medicine in liquid form. They are even graduated for mixing accuracy. 35mm film cannisters will work too-and can be cleaned and reused. Probably hold you until your next rod-there will be another.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:33PM

I place a doubled piece of heavy duty aluminum foil in a pickle jar lid and and shape the foil to the lid. Tilt it to one side slightly while mixing, then set level after mixing is complete. After the epoxy has set up, just throw the foil into the trash and use a new piece for the next time. Small ashtrays work well too.

Eric

Posted by: Reggie Finch (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 02:42PM

Hi, I use communion cups like the ones in the communion tray on the Lord's Table when used at Church services. They work fine for small projects and etc. I also use the alum. foil placed in a jar lid which also works fine. Reggie M. Finch

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 04:33PM

I bought a Pac Bay Mixer that uses the 2 oz condiment cups as Walt mentioned above. Withe mixer you just put the 2 parts in the cup with the mixing ball and turn it on. Let it mix for about 3 minutes, then pour it out on the shiny side of a piec of foil. Off you go!! Absolutely no bubbles. But until you get to that point use a shot glass works awesome.

Bill in WV

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 05:14PM

Eric, I use a plastic lid from a coffee can, works well

Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 11:36PM

i get mine from Mud Hole...something like $3.95 for a 100

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 01:38AM

I have used a glass cup from a craft store made for those little candles. Real cheap. Poured the epoxy onto foil after mixing. Now I use the plastic cups from the rod supply sponsors on the left.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 07:40AM

I use the small 1 oz plastic cups like are sold by so many suppliers but I uses the same cup over and over, I just let what ever is left set up in the cup, that way I can use the epoxy that's left to gauge drying time. When the cup is full after a week or so of mixing, I just turn it over and dump out the lump of hardened epoxy or start over with a fresh cup.
I have a power mixer but I tend to just mix by hand, mostly just because I've done it this way for so many years.

Posted by: Brandan Martin (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 09:27AM

I use a small 2 oz. cup and line it with tinfoil. I find that I get less bubbles with the tinfoil. I also heat it under a 75 watt bulb that hangs over my work bench. I think the tinfoil helps heat it quickly under the low heat source I use. I can build 20 rods with the same cup. I save all the tinfoil that my wife was throwing away that is in good shape. Just rinse it off. I guess since I would consider myself a tree hugger, I'm saving an aluminum Christmas tree from being cut down!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster