I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone - Kevin Knox
Posted by: Jerry Brydalski (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 04:15PM

Kevin ; read your article. Tried to e mail you at address in magazine, no luck.
Just a couple of questions? ............Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone - Kevin Knox
Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 05:25PM

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 10:16AM

Kevin,
I have also read your article, very nice job. I got a sheet of the Aque Blue Maui laminate and I am soaking it for 3 days in distilled white wine vinegar. I just started last night so I am only 12 hrs into it. I am building one of the new (Batson /Rainshadow) RCTB56XXH blanks that I cut from the butt and added an ALPS Centra lock aluminum butt. I am going to put the new ALPS roller guides on it. This rod will be used for Big Cow tuna or any other LARGE species of game fish. If it turns out OK will will bring it to NC next month to showcase the new products from Batson/ALPS.
Any extra tips would be nice but I think the article pretty much covers it all.
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your fine craftsmenship and your willingness to share this technique.

Bill Batson>>

Date: January 22, 2009 10:31AM

Thanks Bill. The rods that are on the cover are FSU60xh blanks so you did have a hand in this! I will be bringing 4 of the to the show. If you want 1 rod for your booth, email me. One is going into the showcase, two to the Nerbs Booth and that leaves 1 thats needs a home for a few days.

Also, keep in mind that I am putting on a seminar on Sunday morning at 9 and would appreciate your attendance, if you can (not hung over). It will be informative and worthwhile, even to those that have read the article, as this process is ever evolving.

I will also have a DVD for sale at the show that has a video and a printable version of the process . It will be available at the NERBS booth, along with veneer in varying colors.
Kevin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 10:45AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 12:21PM

Kevin will the DVD and printable version be available from a web site somewhere?

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:02PM

Kevin,
We would be honored to have one of the Batson FSU60XH blanks built by you with your craftsmenship at our booth. Every year we have one of the finest displays of Custom Built rods by some of the Most talented Rod builders in the World. It is so hard to pick which ones to bring to a show, we have well over 150 custom rods in my office, showroom and conference rooms here at the Batson facility. I will pick my favorite 30 to bring to the show this year, some are older ones and some are newer ones no one has seen yet. Every one of them comes with a story and heartfelt memories. This is another reason I LOVE this Great Craft/Art/Industry. Hopefully iI will be able to attend your seminar, if not it will not be because I am hung over (As I will not drink enough for that to happen) it is because we are there to display our Passion and Products to all who have traveled to enjoy this Great Show. I hope to have that rod that I am building using your technique so you can critique my attempt at this new process.
thank you for your support>>

Bill Batson>>
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: January 22, 2009 06:36PM

Sounds good. I can tell you though that you will be bending that veneer tonorrow night. Take it SLOW. You will hear minor cracks as the seams in the veneer are the weak spots. Email me some photo's!!!

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster