I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Wraps using Metallic Thread, Type A
Posted by: Patrick Marshall (---.bayarea.dialup.o1.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 02:29PM

Any advice on how to tie a decent trim wrap using metallic thread (five to eight turns)? I had no problem doing the main wraps on the guides (silver) but am having a devil of a time with the trim wraps (gold). I got the thread from Jann's Netcraft along with a set of blanks, guides, etc. Rod is turning out great but for this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Wraps using Metallic Thread, Type A
Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: January 20, 2009 03:21PM

Metallics can be a little difficult sometimes. With some metallics the metal foil on the thread starts to spread and can delaminate. Try backing off on the tension, putting as little strtech in the tread as possible. That will help when you pull your tie off loop through as well. Then pack them up tight and burnish.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 04:16PM

Patrick; As Gary said, back off the tension a little bit and see if that helps. There are a number of techniques to doing a trim wrap. One way is to do the trim wrap first. Start it where you want it , get three or four wraps in position and pack them. When you get the number of wraps down that you want, wrap the tag end around the blank a time or two then tape it down out in front of the guide somewhere . Then you can start your main wrap. After a few turns you can then cut the tag from the trim wrap. Until you get a bit of practice under your belt this may be the easiest way for you when working with Metallics.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 04:22PM

You need to pull the trim wrap threads back under your main wrap. Before you start your main wrap cut off a piece of thread for your trim wrap, put it and a pull loop on your blank and start wrapping your main wrap over the trim wrap thread and pull loop. If it is going to be a single trim band after a 10 or so turns of your main wrap cut off the trim wrap thread and fold over the pull loop so it is outside your main wrap. Finish your main wrap and then add your trim wrap using hand pressure to maintain tension then use the pull loop that you placed earlier to pull the trim thread back under the main wrap.

If I am wrapping a single foot guide I like to put a short trim wrap on each end, I use the same piece of thread for both ends of the wrap. I start the same way as the single trim wrap, but I keep the trim wrap thread underneath the entire length of the main wrap. After 10 or so turns of the main wrap I fold the pull loop over so it is outside of the main wrap, I keep going on the main wrap and when you put in your pull loop of the main wrap put in another pull loop for the other side of the trim wrap. After you do your Forhan locking wraps and pull the main wrap thread under do your trim wraps on each end and pull them under the main wrap thread.

It gets a little ungainly having 3 pull loops at one time in the wrap especially using 3mm micro guides on a blank with a very thin tip section, but it is not that hard after you get the hang of it. Here is a picture of a micro guide with a 3 wrap metallic gold trim band on each end. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 05:50PM

I now use the nail knot method. No loops and I find that I do more metallic now. A little practice and its quick. Just find a method that works for you best. [www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 08:29PM

Patrick,
There is a very good article in a recent RodMaker magazine (11.5 I think?) and there are a few
good tutorials on trim wraps & inlays on my website "The Rodbuilder's Library" see link below.

The 2 by Scott Youschak get lots of attention.

Some quick advise would be to leave the beginning & ending tag ends long enough to pull
the wraps tight just before you cut them. If the trimwraps are tight they are less likely to go
BOING and fall apart on ya.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 08:35PM by Raymond Adams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster