I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weave Height
Posted by: William Wilson (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 05:37PM

RodCrafters; I can't say fellow RodCrafter since I don't consider myself a crafter at this point. Her is the question:

I have read Dale Clemens book titled Custom Rod Thread Art and viewed Artie Hebert's "Decorative Rod Wrapping Volume 2 Weaves" and all that leaves me short of one thing to understand. Artie says that you will probably use NCP Size A thread which wraps at about 120 threads per inch. So here is the question; the width of the weaved figure is not too important since it will extend up the rod, however, the height of the figure is important. Should the figure wrap around the circumference of the rod by 100%, 75%, 50% or 25% for a reasonable looking weave? In looking at some of the sample figures in Dales's book the number of threads in the height varies anywhere from 10 to 50 threads. When laying out a weave what height should you target?

Thanks
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weave Height
Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 05:47PM

For rods that are relatively small such as 10 cm diameter a fifty count weave is good however some weaves are designed to go all the way around. My loom will handle sixty five threads and I seldom need more. As you do more you will be able to judge what size pattern you need for a specific blank size.
Pat

Posted by: William Wilson (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 06:32PM

Pat: Thanks for your reply. Would you mine telling me what Loom you use?

Thanks
Bill Wilson

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 07:02PM

Bill I posted on the other site, I have a mudhole 60 thread loom to sell if you want it. It has never been used as I got a Renzetti Womderweaver from Santa.

Let me know via email.

Kevin

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 19, 2009 07:36PM

Bill,
The weave size will vary according to how tightly you pack the threads and what kind of thread it is, but you can expect a good 20% more in height than what you would expect if you simply took the number of threads and multiply it by the stated thread diameter.
The wrap threads are under tension so you can't really use them as a guide (the diameter may be smaller even than the stated size).
In @#$%& I did a little image that shows you the blank coverage based on the thread size and count, but you can achieve the same thing by printing an image at the real size you expect the weave to be and holding it on the blank.
The size I get on my weaves might not correlate directly to your results which is why I made all the thread diameters and stretch factors user configurable.

Some designs are fine if you can't see the whole thing without rotating it, others like a name may not be.
Don't forget when you lay it out that the exact middle of the weave count is not necessarily going to be at the center line of the rod.
It depends on what features you want the viewer to see without having to rotate the rod.
For example a fish like one of your rooster fish should probably be centered on the body, rather than 1/2 the thread count.
It doesn't matter so much that the very long fins go around the blank where you can't see them without rotating the blank.
If you tried to make the weave small enough to see the whole thing then you may end up too small to get the detail you want.

cheers,
Owen Dare

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2009 07:38PM

I'm not speaking for Pat, but knowing the type of rod he builds alot of, I think he meant 10mm diameter, not cm.
Jerry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2009 08:08PM

Take a spool of thread, the size you plan on using, and count the distance provided by 10 threads. Once you know that, you'll have a fairly good idea of the overall height you'll get with varying multiples of 10 thread widths. Because thread is wound onto the spool under light tension, it will be a little less than it is on the spool, but it'll be close.

This is the easiest way I've found to figure these sorts of things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster