I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vertical Jigging Guide
Posted by: Henry Dzielak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:40AM

If you were building a heavy vertical jigging rod, 80 - 150# in a spinning configuration, what would be your choice of guide style?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vertical Jigging Guide
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:20AM

I'd build it new guide concept with regular high frame spinning guides for the butt and transition guides, then use heavy, low frame double foot casting type guides for the choker and running guides. In fact I've done it and it works well.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:21AM

Date: January 17, 2009 11:46AM

The blank is one of the Vertical Jigging blanks from Mud Hole. Must likely will be using bait, 200 ft plus for halibut in Alaska. Not to say I wouldn't throw on a jig once in awhile. Also building a 50-100 rod built conventional style. Using Turbo style on it. My thoughts are that the regular high frame and shorter spinning guides would not hold up to the strain.

Date: January 17, 2009 11:53AM

They will hold up, but remember that there are HD versions of most spinning and casting guides. There are also large ring heavy duty casting guides that can double as spinning butt and transition guides. You should be able to build to the level of strength you need.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 06:23PM

That blank will take more than anyone can physically give it, so it becomes how much is the person you are building it for physically capable of.

TSVSG guides are perfectly fine and will hold up to about 30-35# of drag which is more than most people are physically capable of enduring over a long period.
SVSG if you dont want to break the bank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 06:25PM by Sean Cheaney.

Date: January 17, 2009 09:00PM

Thanks for all your help. I did not think that the TSVSG stye would hold up to that kind of strain. I'm going to givr it a try.

Date: January 17, 2009 10:26PM

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 10:30PM by Sean Cheaney.

Date: January 17, 2009 10:26PM

Since that blank is parabolic the greatest load will come at the guide closest to the vertex of the parabola. That will usually by the 2nd or 3rd guide from the butt.

I dont feel like doing physics right now, but that load should be about 3/4 of what the total drag is. If you cannot hurt that frame at 35# of drag, you are good to go. I'm not exactly sure, but I WOULD try it on a less expensive guide to find out.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:44PM

we have been building heavy PE8-10 (80-100+) spin jigging rods and heavier for using the Fuji BMNAG in Alconites, or the MNSG Sic guides with out any problems using the rods with 500g plus jigs for amberjack and dogtooth tuna. Another option would be the ALPS 316 XXNZG although they only apear to go up to 30mm dia.
Without a harness, and I assume you are not using a harness if using a rod with a spin cinfiguration, you will be hard pushed to work the rod much beyond 30lbs of drag for any length of time.
If I were building the rod for myself I would go with an overhead reel on a spiral wrap configured rod as Tom suggests !

Date: January 18, 2009 10:10AM

I wasn't suggesting a casting rod with a spiral wrap, although a conventional reel is indeed better for this type of super heavy fishing and a spiral wrap would really be the best thing on such a rod.

But you can use a spinning outfit on big fish, to a point. The guides aren't going to fail unless you step on them or beat the rod on something. They're easily as strong as the blank within the confines of what they have to do on the rod. On a spinning rod, the load is most often straight below the guides so there is no damaging pressure on the legs and feet - the guides aren't being twisted.

Posted by: Freddy Chrisdijanto (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 05:25PM

Most of high end Japanese vertical jigging rod used SIC guides ICMNSG or MNSG on both spinning and conventional rod.
Or you can go with Alconite guides BMNAG or CMNAG for less money.
I built some vertical jigging rod with Alconite guides and never have a problem PE or Braided line digging on the guides.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 19, 2009 03:00AM

Sean
to have 3/4 of the total drag as a guide load , that's one heck of a line angle at that guide.( line in - lineout..................like about 83 degrees & probably terminal for the blank before you reach such an angle).
( even one of those almost indestructable ulglysicks will have trouble at that sort of line angle on any guide.

Respectfully think you've got your physics jumbled or its a typo.

Date: January 20, 2009 08:17AM

It wasnt a typo. It was just a best approximate guess. Guess my guess was a bit off. :)

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 20, 2009 03:12PM

No worries Sean
Happens to all of us on occasions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster