I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima seat winding checks
Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: January 15, 2009 06:28AM

Received my order, I do like the seats, wish they came in more hood colors. I'm trimming my barrels down though as they are way too long. What finishes out the 16mm barrel best for winding checks? (What kind of winding check do you think works/looks best?) Hard to buy something that will fit flush with the 16mm seat, and work for different diameter blanks. I can do epoxy winding checks but like the look of real winding checks too.

Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 06:29AM by Phil Richmond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima seat winding checks
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 07:43AM

Turn a one piece arbor/trim cap for each end out of rubberized cork or Burnt Burl.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:39AM

Phil,
You can probably use a hood from another reelseat. They all pretty much fit eachother.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:50AM

I just built 2 rods using the Minima seats. I just used regular rubber winding checks, and then ran thread finish up over them to blend everything together and make it nice and smooth. You could probably do it without the winding checks if you rally wanted to, I just find that they make a nice sub structure for the finish.

Any size 16 hood will fit the Minima barrel. I was originally going to build these rods with a KDPS hood covered in cork to make a sort of small front grip, but I liked the look and feel better with the standard hood and the barrel trimmed to the minimum.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 01:30PM

Phil,
I like to use O rings on each side of the hood section. I push them in flush with the outside edge. They do a great job of centering the seat and give you a base to build the epoxy ramp against or push the winding check against. I used the rubber and aluminum winding checks and they both look great with the seat. On the inside edge (butt side of the hood section), I always build an epoxy ramp. I hope that makes sense.

BTW, I buy the o rings at my local big box hardware store in the faucet section. They are under $1 for packs of ten.

Robert

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 15, 2009 02:59PM

Jann's Netcraft has some awesome trim rings, in any metal finish color, one type goes under the reel seat between the rear grip and the seat and the second one has a little bit of surface milling that fits between the reel seat and the foregrip. They look better than rubber or even aluminum winding checks.
James

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 04:28PM

Batson BH07 black nylon hosel matches the OD of the threaded barrel, here is a link to them on our site;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 04:53PM

Batson Now has the perfect solution for this application when no fore Grips are used. The part number are as follows.

FBWC and starts in size 9.0mm-14.0 with half sizes available.

These are made of flexible PVC and rubber to perfect out side dimensions that never changes only the ID does.

I know these fit all Batson Size 16 Graphite seats on the threaded side.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: January 15, 2009 07:15PM

Thanks for the advice! Karry- that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Will check them out and put the order in through Utmost.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster