I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High School Rod Building
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 03:25PM

I thought some of you may enjoy this picture as much as we at Batson Enterprises did. This is one High School of many that we continue to support for the future of rod building. This School in particular has held this class for almost four years now and taught around 100 students how to build there own fly rods. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High School Rod Building
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:07PM

That's great. I actually built a rod in my Woods and Waters class back in the 82. We learned about the outdoors, conservation, hunting and boating safety. We fired a musket loader, built a rod, toured some local wetlands and a nature center. It was a great class, but I'm sorry to say it isn't offered any more.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2009 06:07PM

Excellent idea and great way to get more folks involved.

Posted by: Jon Sanders (---.119.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 06:14PM

That's awesome. I teach special education and I've got a student who wants to build his own rod. I've told him that we can probably do it, its just a matter of finding something he can afford to build. The school won't spring for the cost so it's up to him and his parents. I'd love to buy the stuff for him, but with times the way they are I just couldn't afford it right now. Are there any places that offer an educational discount?

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 06:15PM

That's great to see, they don't have enough of this going on in schools. I commend you on helping these young adults out. You and Bill deserve a pat on the back for all of your kind acts. Thanks Mark

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 07:03PM

Karry the high school here. These studendent are building great rods.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 07:53PM

Hi,

I live in NY State. I inquired about teaching rod building as an after school activily. Without a teaching certificate it can't happen. I guess it is their loss.

Many of the blank and component companies are very generous when it comes to helping people who teach youngsters how to build rods.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 09:49PM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 09:42PM

Jon,

I don't remember who they are, but I'm sure they'll chime in. There are a few builders on this forum who build a Custom For Kids rod, and raffle it off. The funds then go for funding components for kids to learn rod building. Whom ever is involved with that, please chime in and see if you can help out this special educational needs child. After all isn't that what it's all about???? Also if I'm mistaken where the funds go, by all means, correct me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 13, 2009 11:46PM

I wish my high school had classes like that back when I was attending.
James

Posted by: Jon Sanders (209.106.216.---)
Date: January 14, 2009 10:46AM

Yeah me too. I've thought about trying to offer a rod building class like that in the summer, the only problem would be coming up with all the equipment.

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:13AM

Jon, putting a rod building class together for a high school is not that hard. I have taught a number of them for years and am in the process of ordering parts for another. A simple, one time request for funds from local civic organizations should get you the money for what you need. You will have to put in a little time going to the civic groups meetings to explain what you want to do, who it will benefit, etc

Then contact suppliers/manufacturers and put together a mission statement and you might get some discounts. The rod jigs can be easily made by the students in your local Tech Ed class which, if possible is where you want to hold it anyway.

Capt. Neil, I too do not have a teaching certificate. But my "co-instructor" is a teacher at the school which in addition to getting an extra rod building instructor gets you your certified teacher and access to the facilities. Maybe there is a certified teacher in your area that would like to help.

If I can be of service to ANYONE out there wanting to start a high school rod building class please email me as we have taken this class from the very beginning with no funds or equipment to a very popular, annual class with some pretty nice equipment.

The substantial rewards for both the teachers and students can not fully be put into words. Just get ready to do a LOT of work both in and out of the class room to make it successful.

Buzz

rodmaker@dotnet.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:20AM

Myself and a fellow angler do a fishing 101 class which last for six sessions , 2hr , each class . We teach the aspects of fishing in general , both salt and fresh water . Some where in the middle or so of the classes I show how to "rerpair" a broken guide , using simple items such as a coffee cup , some books , and most important coat hangers ! Its a lot of fun , and some students really get it .I also re-build an old beater rod with the class , the finished product is awarded to a lucky student at the last class . We have done these classes going on four years now , and have lots of repeat students , as well as new ones. Oh by the way its an adult education class , but we gladly take on younger people !
Larry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:28AM

Buzz,

There are some materials on the way to you now. Should arrive tomorrow with any luck. Hope you can use it.

Date: January 14, 2009 01:10PM

I am sure we can Tom and thanks for your generosity.

Posted by: Jon Sanders (209.106.216.---)
Date: January 14, 2009 01:22PM

Buzz, thanks for the info. I'll have to start checking into that. The only problem I foresee is that we are a very small, rural community and we really don't have any civic organizations in our community. But I'll definitely start checking into that, because a lot of the students at my school have expressed interest in building their own rod.

~Jon

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:04PM

Maybe check out the Scout's Association. Back when I was a Scout the Fisherman's Badge involved building your own rod. Sure wish high scholl had something like that too when I was in. Great work supporting the kids and getting them into the craft.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:06PM

We feel VERY passionate about this subject. The kids are the NEXT Generation. If it were not for my father and others in this industry that have passed on their knowledge where would we be today? We are the second generation here at the Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines. And we are going to do what we can to help the Next Generation enjoy the Whole Fishing Experience.
We have supported these types and other programs for Many years. We have with the help of some fine gentleman (John & Bud) made some great inroads to the future education of the Rod Building Experience. We are a company that will be around for generations to come and we want to share all the JOYS of this Great Craft/ART. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us..

The Batson TEAM

Date: January 15, 2009 11:15AM

Jon, here are some organizations that I have contacted in the past for support. By support I am talking money. Just because they are not a fishing organization don't let that stop you from asking. All of these conservation organizations are very aware that we need to recruit new anglers/hunters into our ranks. And by the way, ask in person. Form letters rarely produce. Civic organizations: Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, the United Way.. Also, check with your chamber of commerce. They will often know of private foundations that support projects such as yours. Believe it or not grants can be written and obtained for outdoor youth projects and classes....National Turkey Federation, Wings Over Wisconsin, Ducks Unlimited, Whitetails Unlimited, Musky Unlimited, Walleyes For Tomorrow, Walleyes Unlimited, local fishing clubs, Trout Unlimited, Federation of Fly Fishers, Mercury Marine. Find the closest chapter in your area and give them a call. The hardest part of this is not getting the money but in fact making the contact with the club or organization. Volunteer organizations usually have pretty poor websites or no sites so finding a contact person is the hard part.

And by the way, from the previous post from the Batson Team, they have been VERY helpful in getting our classes outfitted at very reasonable prices.

If there is anything else I can do, shoot me an email.
Buzz

Date: January 15, 2009 11:25AM

I wonder if the seminar topic of "starting a youth rod building class" might not be an interesting seminar at a future Expo????????? Lots of tips and tricks out there to help get one started. Plans for simple jigs could be handed out, organizations that might provide funding contact information for fund raising could be addressed, lots of good ideas out there to get these very important classes started. In fact, I would like to see some local (High Point/Charlotte NC) youth rod building groups show up at the Expo and take in the great seminars that we are able to attend.

Looking around the expo at all of those rod builders I don't see many young people. (no offense to Mike Barkley! :) ) I am sure the students would love the excellent seminar on Basic Rod Building not to mention the other fine seminars offered. Perhaps one of the vendors could put together an nice, inexpensive rod building kit for sale to any rod builder that attends that is under the age of 18....................

Buzz

“I touched Eric Skell’s 15 pound, 4 ounce walleye……..I will never wash this hand again……”

Posted by: Bill Cason (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 11:01PM

What kind of rod does the kid want to build? Also, what materials are you thinking about?

I might donate a kit in exchange for a picture of the finisthed product. It might be for fun for the kid to have to develop his list of materials from a supplier like Mudhole. You could then post this on the forum and some of us could chip in.

Bill & Martha Cason
Cason Custom Rod Finishes, LLC
Houston, TX

Home of Cason's Crystal Clear Color Preservers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster