I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly/spin combo rod
Posted by: Brian Goodwin (---.desm.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 03:40PM

I've seen photos here and in Rodmaker of combo rods with removeable or reversable butt grips built to be used as either fly or spinning rods. I did some searching but could not find any thing about what guides have been used for this type rod. Anybody have any recomendations?

Thanks
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly/spin combo rod
Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 04:13PM

Hi Brian. I can only offer what I have in the rod rack as examples and experiences.

1. An old 2 pc., 7' JC Higgins combo with a down-locking reel seat and a Tennessee grip with slip rings, of medium action with wire frame guide/tip top setup that is straight out the table for spinning rods. Although this rod can chuck a spinner a mile the fly line slaps a bit against the blank so distance and presentation are not good.
2. An old 4 pc., 7' Orvis Full Flex with a Tennessee handle (makes it a combo for me) and aluminum slide rings of slow action with wire frame and snake guide/tip top setup that is straight out the table for fly rods. All snake guides are over-sized by one size. This rod performs very well for light spinning and with a #6 fly line.
3. A new 4 pc., 7'6" Micro Lite from Bass Pro Shop with a reversible handle and an ultra-light spinning guide/tip top setup with single foot, guides with inserts of slow action. This rod also performs very well for light spinning and #5 fly line. This rod is wicked lightweight and this likely helps the fly part of the combo.

If I were to build one I would tend toward the Orvis or Microlite setups since they work for me in situations when I want a combo. I would be happy to share the guide sizes and layout of either rod should you be interested.

Good luck!
Chris

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 05:34PM

I built one of these for myself and set the guides up for fly except that I used a high frame stripper. It works well for both fly and spinning.

Posted by: Reggie Finch (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 12:18AM

Hi, I'm building what I call in reverse, "Spin/Fly" rod and have purchased two "closed faced" reels with trigger for fishing like a spinning rod. The reels are Diawa "underspin 40xC and Pflueger Underspin Microspin "U" I used a 7'6" two pc rod and build tha handle like a fly rod except I put a short cork butt behind the reel seat. I used Fuji Concept guides. I havent finished the rod yet, but did a mock up with the guides in place and it cast very well. One could still use a fly reel too. Reggie m. Finch

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: January 12, 2009 12:53AM

As it happens, I am in the process of building a combo rod at the moment.

My customer wanted a rod to cast 8# fly line and 3kg to 4kg braid, with unweighted soft plastics.

Tough ask I thought. I have some great old blanks in my workshop which I really love.

9ft, 8#, Mitsubishi, MR40-HR. No longer made unfortunately.

The plan is to turn a wooden grip, around 11 inches long and use FUJI FRS Cam Lock Graphite Pipe seats. ( no longer made I am told. I have the last 2 pair in Aus.)

The guides will be alconite single foot and built on the same pattern as a fly rod.

I do not expect this rod to do both jobs as well as it should, but from my experiments, it looks as if it will do both jobs adequately.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 11:34AM

I like this topic, I have a friend that is wanting one of these and have been curious as to what others did. I was intending to use a Tennessee grip.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 11:51PM

I have an old spinning/fly rod in my stash that was built many moons ago.

I made it on a fiberglass spinning blank and used small, equal sized, singlefooted fly guides with a larg(er) stripper. It works fine still.

I made the handle from a piece of fiberglass blank with a spinning seat installed, I put an EVA grip on it and flared both ends to make ferrules to match blank. I reinforced the ferrules with fiberglass. It reverses to meet the desired fishing technique. I made a cute little butt plug from rubber to fit into the unused end of the handle.

I don't know why I quit using it as I pulled in many a good fish with it. Maybe because I started surf fishing with the long rod and moved away from it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster