I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Going micro.....
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 10, 2009 12:08PM

Hey again guys.
Looking further into the smaller guides, especially using smaller transitions before dropping into the small fly guides. I see Fuji have Alconite match style "Y" guides, code BMYAG, largest available is a size 10. Has anyone used these in the transitions, or have the actual guide heights? Would like to know how they compare to the Match guides from Pac Bay and Batson.

Might be unavoidable, but trying not to mix and match guide styles too much (frame colours especially), and would idelly like to have the same ring. I will be rebuilding a rod equipped with TATSG's next, and while I can get hold of the little TLSG's, there isn't anything high frame, small ring in SiC with either a Ti frame or a similar frame finish. Figure going BMYAG into BLAG's and BFAT tip would save a bit of a headache.

Edit: A bit more research and surfing shows the BMYAG in size 10 sits between the Y 10 and 12 in height. So maybe a combination of BYAG 20 and 16, then the BMYAG's to transition quickly to the much smaller rings (Alconite 4, 4.5 and 5) will give me a lot to work with. If it all works well, then probably will go with the little titaniums for the weight, corrosion resistance and look. Will also be grabbing hold of a set of the M frames and micros.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 01:33PM by Ted Morgan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going micro.....
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 01:59PM

Your work is on target -

The point about matching guide rings - I have finished plenty rods with miss matched rings and have finally decided most of the concerns were originally from the perspective of a custom builder - I intentionally built a demo rod using a completely different brand, style and ring color for customer trial. No one ever commented in any way that indicates they noticed ring color or style difference.

You will be quite surprised by the weight comparisons of the Fuji guides in stainless or titanium frame with the SIC rings. In my opinion there is not weight difference to matter considering the price spread.

[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 02:07PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: January 11, 2009 09:47AM

Thanks for that Bill. Yes, the whole guide frame/ring matching up thing is all me, in my head. I just can't quite do it man!!!! It is part of "Fit and Finish" to me, either they have to be so close as only to be noticeable under scrutiny by knowledgeable eyes, or don't bother. It's what really irks me about repair work sometimes, like when you have a suitable guide but it doesn't match, or when the person repairing doesn't really give a rats and just sticks a black Hardloy in the middle of a set of chrome Alconites.

Ti... well, I like the look, and the finish. Especially the MNST tips from Japan. Courtesy of a friend, I have an MNST 4.5 in hand..... small, but not all that tiny, and looks like it could pass the leader knot I commonly use (8lb braid, 15-20 lb mono/fluoro) pretty easily if the line path is straight.

Cost and weight savings....yeah, figured you aren't really gaining that much in weight, and are spending a shedload more in comparison, BUT Ti has the best corrosion resistance. Even regular cleaning and washing sees rust develop on the Alconite guides fairly quickly. I have yet to try the 316 stainless frames, but hopefully these will give good results also. Hardcore SW ultralight (read: hours wading flats, light surf, stalking beaches and rockwalls). I have 2 identical blanks, and can try a head to head, one with M frames and micros, one with Alconite M's and micros. I personally feel the Y frames are stronger than the M frames. May even do the mix and match, but I strongly feel I could only do that on a test, and accept a compromise on a final rod if I can keep the guides the same.

Ah, a big thanks also to Jim Spooner for the test notes for the micro setups and casting tests. Looking forward to this....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2009 10:45AM by Ted Morgan.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 11:37AM

Ted,
I'm in your camp.......... I just can't get myself there in mixing/matching guides (at least the finishes). I don't mind mixing single/double foot guides but the frame and ring UGH I just can NOT do it......

Date: January 12, 2009 02:44PM

Yup, and looking about I see chrome frame H ring micros..... but no chrome frame M frame guides.... no chrome frame micros in the other manufacturing camps. LOL. Looks like all black for the spinning rods.

Does anyone have the Alconite BMYAG in stock?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster