I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Talon surf blanks
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 04:21PM

I just ordered a Talon 11'6 2pc surf blank direct from the factory. This rod is for me and was wondering if anyone has any experiance with their salt water stuff? They don't seem to popular on the Eastcoast saltwater wise! I usally don't buy a blanks with out trying them out but Talon has some really intresting blanks I figured I would give them a shot. Any opinions on them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Talon surf blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 05:33PM

I've been using them for nearly 25 years. However, they are not your typical Eastern surf rod - certainly not big heaver type rods. Nice, pleasant and excellent casting but only suited for casting weights of perhaps up to 4 ounces (B132). Medium action - no fast tips. It's a light surf casting blank, not a powerful distance casting tool.

They do offer a B174 which is rated for a good amount of weight, however, it's an adapted Sturgeon rod. Nice and fairly powerful, but a fairly fine tip that won't really take the amount of casting weight listed in the blank rating.

Date: January 07, 2009 05:43PM

well I ordered the B131 and I don't use carbon rods for bait heavers anyhow only glass. I'm looking for a good blank to fit in around my All Stars that I use for lure chucking. So would you say their lure ratings are a little lite overall or right on? My All Star BGSW-1266 and 1387 seem to be underrated! Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 05:50PM

The Talon surf models are not nearly as powerful as the All Stars. I'd say the 131 with a couple ounces on it would be about it if you plan to really get into the cast.

Date: January 07, 2009 06:02PM

Sounds good, I mostly use bucktail and lures in the range of 1 to 2 1/2 oz so this blank should work just fine. Real heavy lures (2-5) I always use the AS 1387 any how it seems to like that range.Thanks again Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster