I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spar urethane
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 09:03PM

Finishing up my first carbon fiber sleeved grip and looking fwd to the end result. One problem is that I can't seem to find the Helmsman Spar Urethane. Plenty of polyurethanes, just not the Helmsman Spar Urethane. Helmsman is a brand name, correct? I have also seen someone use the name 'Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane' on this site. Went to the big guys and to a West Marine thinking that since it is suitable as a marine application, they should have it. Where do you guys get yours?

I know people have used epoxy, but I dont want to. I was wondering if permagloss would also be a suitable final coat.

I finished sanded with 600 grit and then I got it wet to see how it will look, I LIKE it. Also, I'm using these grips on a matte black blank and was pondering the use of a semi-gloss or satin finsh for my clear coat on the carbon fiber to kind of maintain the 'look'.

I would have never thought of using this on a build if it wasn't for this site or the Mag MUCH thanks.

Steven

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spar urethane
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 09:09PM

I found mine at the home box stores in the paint section. The small hardware stores near me don't carry it!
I have not tried PG but would think it would be great. I think that the spar is easy to apply since it's a spray and recoating is a sinch if ever needed.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 09:10PM

I bought mine at Home depot in the paint department. I went with satin and really like the look.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 09:24PM

PermaGloss would indeed be suitable if not superior, although it's much harder to apply nicely on something like a smooth grip surface.

Epoxy is definitely not want you want for the grip coating - wrong tool for the job.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 09:26PM

I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (Clear Gloss). It can be found at Lowe's, Home Depot and Sherwin Williams paint stores ... among others. You may be able to find it at craft/hobby stores as well.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 03:46AM

try ace hardware. that's where i got my ace spar varnish which is used often to fully coat a bamboo rod. i'm not sure exactly what a "spar urethane" is but they too would offer options...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2009 07:39AM

i have done quite a bit of testing using different finishes and methods to apply them. the spar urethane is one of the best. the helsman spar spray urethane can be found at any home improvement store or walmart. whatever brand you use make sure it is rated for exterior use. permagloss is excellent as well. like any finish each have their strong points and weaknesses. i will go over what i have learned in the seminar in high point

i have tried the satin finish thinking i would really like it. it was very dull looking and haven't used it since

good luck

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: January 08, 2009 09:25AM

I have used Perma gloss on many wood grips and there is a learning curve but it's still fairly simple. On carbon I would prepare a break free surface and apply it while turning at about 4 rpm. Apply gently in long strokes to avoid bubbles. Leave turning until dry, on wood it usually takes 3 thin coats to give a glass like finish.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 01:21PM

Spar urethane is for exterior use, as would be the case for a fishing rod. The brand name does not matter that much.

Poly urethane is strictly interior and if used for exterior applications will be subject to peeling.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: January 08, 2009 01:49PM

Thanks for all the replys guys, I will go with the spar urethane. I was not sure if helmsman was part of the material description or if it was a brand etc. Thank you all for the clarification. Spray does seem like the way to go. I googled the Minwax urethane and now that I have seen what the can looks like, it should be easier to find.

If this is a good finish for the handle, is it safe to assume that it would be a good blank finish? As of now I have used permagloss. A couple of times there has been visable lines on the blank if you look closely. I have used womens nylons for application in one long sweep down the blank, one side at a time. (no I wasn't wearing the nylons durring application)
Steven

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster