I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First attempt at Fuji Concept
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:20PM

Long time lurker first time guestion :)

Right now im building a 7" UL on the St. Croix SCIII Blank with a Shimano Saros 1000 reel. On this rod I wanted to use the fuji concept guide system. I laid everything out and here is what I came up with.

6mm choke guide plus 6 more 6mm guides out to the tip. So (7) 6mm guides in total
The butt guide is a 20mm and is about 20 in. from the reel face.
The only other guide is a 10 between the butt and choke.

I followed Tom Kirkmans walk through in the library but it just looks funny to me. The static dis. test came out almost perfect and the rod seems to cast well.

I guess my question is should i be concerned with the total amount of guides(9) on a 7" rod? Also will there be an issue going from a 20mm butt guide down to an 10mm?

Thanks for any input you have.

Mitch Leppelmeier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 12:23PM by Mitch Leppelmeier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First attempt at Fuji Concept
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:28PM

If it casts to your expecations, I would say no. You could try taking out 1 or 2 of the number 6 guides and see how it casts and make sure to do a static load test.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:52PM

The article in the library section of this forum is not for the Fuji Concept System.
The "New Guide Concept" should not be confused with the Fuji system.

As the rule of thumb indicates, a 7ft rod would normally have 8 guides plus the
tip top. Sometimes one would need one more or one less so if your staic test
indicates 9 guides your not out of wack at all.

New set-ups can often look "funny" just because it's different than what one is
used to seeing. Don't let that deture you from obtaining the best results. You
will be surprised at how well "funny looking" rods can perform! lol

Mike is right on with the suggestion to try several set-ups before finalizing the
actual number and placements of guides. Especially on a spinning outfit.
A bit of test casting tells all.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 01:24PM

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Most of my NGC rods set up for reels of that size only have one transition guide between the butt and choker guide. They cast very well.

On a 7' rod you should about 8 guides plus tiptop. 1 more or less isn't going to matter that much. The only place you can remove a guide and try fewer will be among the running guides. Take one out, respace the remainer of running guides and test cast again. Leave the butt, transition and choker guides where they are.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.237.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 01:50PM

When I laid out my first NGC rod it didn't look "right" either but it casts like a dream and it performed well in the static test. Just different I suppose.
As far as numebr of guides go, I personally prefer 8-9 on a 7' spinning rod. I use a really light drag on my reels and if I need to add drag I can either lift the rod tip up more and create more drag or cup the spool. Either way, congrats on the new build and trying different approaches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 01:53PM by Matthew Jacobs.

Date: January 07, 2009 05:21PM

Thanks guys for all the input. Im quite happy with the way it performs!!! I guess it just takes some getting used to as far as the looks!

Date: January 07, 2009 05:24PM

Once you've fished with it a bit, the older style with large ring guides all the way out (Cone-of-Flight System) will begin to look and feel odd. Just wait and see.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 07:59PM

Mitch; to answer you questions; NO there is nothing wrong with going from a 20mm to 10mm guide if that is how it sets up. Neither is it out of line to end up with an extra guide.

Date: January 08, 2009 02:36PM

While on the subject what do you feel performs better the "Fuji Concept system" or the "New Guide Concept"?

Date: January 08, 2009 03:19PM

They're the same thing. You do not need to use Fuji guides, however, to use the New Guide Concept System.

What you have here in the online library and what was in the Volume 10 #4 issue of RodMaker are my work detailing how to set up the system without relying on charts and generic spacing, which the Fuji literature does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster