I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Erg Spin Seat
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 08:35AM

When someone reads this board and realizes that custom builders are holding the keys to many locks rather surprising results can occur. I just posted the picture of a chopped up spin seat that is absolutely the cats meow! This seat fills the hand and is light enough to compliment the micro gudes utilized. I do not build a lot of spinning rods. Six fishermen have had this one in hand and up and down nod of the head and the smile on their face when they picked it up tells me this is the one!

This rod will be in High Point for your evaluation -

Pictorial Evolution of Micro Erg Spin Seat - available at your local custom rod chop shop!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Erg Spin Seat
Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.omega12.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 28, 2008 09:27AM

Bill, don't understand what you are trying to illustrate. What are the sizes of those 3 reel seats anyway?

Date: December 28, 2008 09:50AM

Anthony a response has been posted on the Photo Board -

Welcome to the world "Outside the Box"

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 12:37PM

I have had this rod in my hand and trust me it is the reel deal. Fits your hand perfectly no matter how you hold it. Ergonomic spinning seats unlike the many ergo casting seats are all way too large and clunky or they require a special contoured cork grip which further adds to the unnecessary bulk. By cutting away all unneeded bulk Bill has kept the ergonomics and lost the weight. As Bill says the sides are flat on this seat giving it the feel of a hammer handle. Now that I've felt this I won't be buying any other round light spinning seats.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 02:48PM

OK I'll bite!

I see what your talking about, what I don't understand is which part of the reel seat is flat?

I see the sides look kind of flat, if your sanding them then how do you finish them off and if your using that much reel seat that you can sand them down wouldn't it be better to buy a less heavy reel seat cut it down to just the fixed hood and the barrel hood and make a split reel seat if you want the grip to look or act like a hammer handle then why not build a foam grip with the hoods built into it and then shape it like a hammer handle??????

I like your idea I just think there is or are better ways to do it, maybe after the first of the year I'll work on it and see what I can come up with!

Date: December 28, 2008 03:10PM

I am not working the sides - the seat is not round - the larger the size the more pronounced the flat - two minute modification to get where I want to go fits my build schedules - simple chop chop - I don't want to reinvent the wheel if all I need to do is let a little air out of the tire for a softer ride. There will be better ways for those who have the time go for it and let us know -

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 28, 2008 07:02PM

Bill has a great idea here.

One thing I have really been playing with is handle ergonomics on casting handles. I too used the hammer idea but I looked at other "tools" as well.

I have a competitive shooting background and nearly all competition shotguns have a palm swell. Increased comfort, grip, stability, etc because your entire hand is contacting the grip.

While I believe I need to shape a grip totally different for even better ergonomics, that's not an easy sell. By far this is my #1 shape for grips... carbon, cork, flocked.. you name it. I do different diameters and length based on customer hand size and that makes a big difference.

I find guys who don't palm the reel absolutely love this grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 07:03PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2008 12:02PM

The hammer handle idea is a great one for spinning rods, I've been making my own version for a while-
[www.tackletour.net] or [www.rodbuilding.org]
Thanks to Tom it was written up in this months Rodmaker Magazine, the new version will have a couple of new mods.

Date: December 29, 2008 01:46PM

Thanks Stan: I live in a reel small world on the internet - I had no clue that all the "chatter" was on the other site. I did correct my post on the photo board when I realized that my old foggy brain used the wrong name in the credits line on my explanation post. Your handle is way out in front of the one I posted - which just uses a larger size to fill the hand and the "flats" on the side for comfort in the hand held section only - my photo is more of a production rod type build than a highly customized one like you did in the magazine. One thing for sure the little bitty round ones on shaky and drop shot rods are wrong!

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2008 11:26PM

Bill, no problem. I like the grip for any bass spinning applications, like skipping senko's.

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: December 30, 2008 04:23PM

I put a couple photos of a rod I am building with the Pac Bay Minima spinning reel seat.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I haven’t fished with it yet but so far it feels quite comfortable. I made the bulb part where the heel of your hand goes pretty generous with a nice taper down to the blank. I plan to smooth the winding check in front of the threaded barrel with epoxy when I put the finish on, that should provide a nice smooth transition at the front of the seat.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2008 10:07PM

Bill I got two of those seats on order. I will have to get with you when they come in to go over the mods although I can probably figure it out. The cutout that shows the cork arbor was done by you correct?

Date: December 31, 2008 08:18AM

Yep

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster