I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matching the right rod to the individual
Posted by: David Page (---.244.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 01:19PM

I'm sure this has been discussed on here at some point but I can't seem to find anything through the serach. I've seen a lot about matching the rod to the individual but I'm not really sure about how exactly to arrive at this and I'm willing to bet that I'm probably over-thinking it. If one of my friends comes to me wanting a rod for a particular technique I can get that one right just because I've fished with them and I know how they fish what they like and dislike, but if someone I don't know comes to about one I want to make sure that I get it right with them just the same. An example that comes to mind is I like to use a 7'6" MH Mod rod for carolina rigging and I have a friend that won't use anything but heavy action, also for drop-shotting I like a ML and he likes a MH with an extra fast tip. 2 different people 2 different tastes and styles of fishing. I guess my question would be what questions are you guys asking to make sure that you match the rod to the individual? 99% of the rods that I build and will build in the future will be for bass fishing and as you all know there's a VERY wide variety of styles, preferences and huge variety of techniques. I'd like to see where this one goes.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matching the right rod to the individual
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 01:51PM

Bill Stevens is a master at this.
It’s called building a rapport with your client, finding out his tastes, preferences, and what he is looking for I a rod.

Why don't you start by looking up some of his posts then posting the questions you think you should ask and allowing others to fill in the blanks.
Will save you time and space on the board. Wouldn't make sense to tell you what you already know

If you tell what your friends want by watching. You can find out from customers by asking the things you observe that give you the answers by watching.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 03:10PM

When talking with a client some question you might ask are what type of fish are you fishing for, what kind of reel well you be using, what is you preferred rod length, well you be doing a lot of casting long, short or flipping and line weight. When it come to grips measure your customers hand. I have a verity grips in different lengths and diameters they can try. do not for get to discuss the style of guides. An also get your clients in put as you build the rod. Have him feel the grips for comfort.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 06:07PM

I always find it helpful to just sit down, face to face, or at least over the phone and just have a conversation about they type of fishing your customer is all about. Ask about line types and strength, fish size and what problems he encounters while fishing. Take notes about the problems. If you fish in a similar manner, share some of your experiences and see if there is a match and explain how you've addressed different issues with types of rods in your experience. Ask him/her about what rods they like best and worst and what about them specifically.

After about 20 or 30 minutes, you'll learn a lot about type of fish, type of water & structure, basic rod likes and dislikes, range of line strength and type. At this point, you should be able to get about 80% of the picture. Show him/her some blanks and let them see how they feel. Even without a handle, most experienced anglers will be able to narrow a range of blanks they like. If you don't have blanks, have them bring their favorite rod over and you can take some CC measurements and maybe point out some things you can offer to improve even the favorite rod.

Once you've done this once or twice with a customer, you'll start developing a relationship with them and be able to more quickly match their needs with a product. You'll be able to offer some alternatives that could improve their experience once you've delivered a couple of successes. They'll listen to your recommendations.

Try not to make it an interrogation. Try to just engage in a fishing conversation with some open ended questions to get them talking. You'll be amazed what comes out most of the time. Some guys start with something like "just build me a great stick" and we need a little more to go on. Most anglers will talk about fishing until the cows come home. Most don't know the kind of details that are important to rod builders so we have to get this out of them in other ways. Remember, we are making tools for anglers, not other rod builders.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 06:21PM

I like to have them show me what rod they are using now for the type fishing they do. And then I ask what they could change about THAT rod if they could change anything they wanted. From there I know what to build for them.

Posted by: David Page (---.198.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 08:57PM

Steve you were right, it's Bill's specialty. We talked for a long while while the other day and I could tell he was a sales machine lol. He emailed about this post and sent me a copy of the sales seminar from High Point last year. It defintely helped with the communication end of things. I would still like to hear how others are handling this just for other perspectives though.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 11:36PM

Like the others above, we sit with a customer for as long as it takes, in the shop, talking about how they like t o fish, what for, what they want our rod to do that their current rods can't do, the weight of lure they like to use for certain conditionns, and just fishing in general.

If they have something in mind based on one of their current rods we ask them to bring the rod along. We always ask them to bring the reel they intend to use with our new rod. However, we ALWAYS tell them that we will NOT build them a custom rod that will match an off-the-rack rod, because (a) our is going to be much more expenseive and (b) if they want that exact action, they are better off just buying that particular off-the-rack rod.

Once we've figured out what they think they want, and what they want to do with it, we start showing them blanks that we think will fit the requirements. We're open to anything and if they want something we don't stock, we'll order it for them (at extra cost, of course). We progress from the blankto grip styles, reel seat syles, foregrip styles, and guide styles. Along the way we discuss - never lecture - what the different designs might do for them, both pros and cons. Eventually, we end up with a design that they sorted out, and they are excited to see how it comes out, but they already have a mental picture of it before they leave the shop. THis discussion includes wrapping styles and colors, as well. It's easier with a customer who has already bought one of our rods because he's used to the process by the time he comes back for another. In fact, most consider this part of the process to be fun in-and-of itself.

I think the key to these sessions is to LISTEN, rather than "sell". The customer is there because he wants a custom rod, so you're already halfway there. It's not like a car salesman - you customer already trusts you because he he's seen other folks with your rods, or heard about you and your work. If your prices are right he already knows what to expect, and if you explain that extra features cost more, he'll be OK with that too. What he wants is for you to help him think his way through to something he's never had before - a custom rod built especially for him, to fish like he's always pictured himself fishing.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 11:29AM

Building rapport is invaluable. Listening and understanding is paramount.

Sometimes you also have to stop your personal preferences influencing what you recommend and keep an open mind.

Use the drop shot example: Maybe a MH does work for him. Maybe I say I'm fishing a drop shot and want a MH rod. Well, that makes no sense to you. Did you ask why? I'm throwing a drop shot in 50' of water and using a 1/2 oz weight with a 9" worm. ML won't work for that.

Gotta keep your mind open. Lots of guys do lots of "different" things.

To me that's the biggest potential pitfall with building "technique specific" rods... and causing me to get away from that terminology... one size fits all doesn't work in a truly custom market, yes some rods are designed for textbook use, but I know way too many fishermen that don't use textbook techniques.

One of the best things I feel like I can do is get a guy to let me watch him cast and work a lure back. See how he holds the rod, retrieves the lure, etc. That's going to influence blank, handle design, etc for me.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 11:30AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster