I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grips
Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:02PM

What is the best adhesive for gluing eva foam strips together or for eva inlays? Thanks!
David Spence

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grips
Posted by: David Fullbright (65.116.28.---)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:44PM

Some folks use 5 min. epoxy. However, I like regular old Dap Weldwood thinned to a very runny consistency. Done properly, there is no visible glue line at all, and I haven't had one come apart yet.

Dave

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 13, 2002 01:19PM

Contact cement - the Dap Weldwood mentioned above, is the stuff.

Date: November 13, 2002 04:30PM

Now if someone could tell me how to get good straight cross and rip cuts, I'd be a very happy camper.

So far the best cross cuts I can get are with a mitre box and razor saw, but I have to do a lot of dressing of the joints after the fact. As far as rip cuts, I've had no luck what so ever, so if anybody has any hints let me know.

Dave

Date: November 13, 2002 05:01PM

A table saw with a fine tooth blade and good miter attachment makes nice cuts! (Obviously, you need to excercise caution with any power tool - danger is always only a complacent moment away.)

If you are using a miter box and fine tooth saw, dressing of the faces is easily done with a stationairy disk sander. Takes only seconds.

These are the methods I use and I realize having access to power tools makes the job somewhat easier. There are probably some other hand methods that work equally well and I am sure someone will chime in.

Date: November 13, 2002 05:11PM

And I wanna thank you!! My buddy has a nice table saw, but we had problems with the stock kicking back while trying to rip strips once the stock had progressed passed the width of the blade.

I suggested a fine tooth blade, and he looked at me like I was nuts, and since he knows a lot more than I do about saws and such, I just let it drop.

But I bet the fine tooth blade is the key right?? If so, does it have to be a really nice table saw, or can it be on of the off the shelf models they sell at the local hardware store?

Dave

Date: November 13, 2002 05:12PM

Oh yeah, sorry David, I didn't mean to highjack your thread.

Dave

Date: November 13, 2002 05:17PM

I'm not an expert at cutting foam grips on a table saw by any means. And I know one gentleman who cut his hand from between his index and middle finger back to his wrist while using a tablesaw to cut another type of foam on. So I don't want to come off as some expert on how to utilize a table saw for cutting EVA grips - I'm not. I just moved ahead with some basic idea of what blade would be required to cut a soft material such as EVA. It worked fine for me.

I have not ripped any lengthwise and would only do it if the EVA was in block form. It could be tricky with a round piece. For crosscuts and angle cuts though, a good miter should be fine and will work with block or round stock.

I have found it very easy to do, but would still urge you to use extreme caution.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: November 13, 2002 05:19PM

David,

I use a little $100 Black & Decker band saw I bought years ago. It cuts EVA, Hypalon, cork, even rod blanks just as clean as you would want.

Ray Alston

Date: November 13, 2002 06:31PM

Jeeez Tom:
I'm still flinching just from reading that. Being accident prone myself, I can guarantee you that I use extreme caution in everything that I do. But man, every time I think of that I cringe!! Actually I don't think I'll ever use a table saw again without picturing that in my mind!! So I'll be even more cautious in the future.

Ray:
My buddy has a nice band saw, and I think I'll give it a shot. I'm also gonna try a fine tooth blade on his table saw, and if it works, I'll let you guys know.

Thanks Guys
Dave

ow, jeez, oh man, nightmares tonight for sure!!!

Date: November 14, 2002 08:49AM

David,

Sorry, I wasn't out to cause anyone any nightmares. I just wanted to point out that all power tools can be dangerous if not used correctly and given the proper respect, and when we start using them to work with materials that I'm not sure they were designed for, well... there can be some surprises.

With a fine tooth blade and a good miter, I haven't had any problems with catches or kickbacks when cutting EVA and I used to do quite a bit of it.

The band saw sounds interesting and while I haven't used mine to do this sort of thing, it might be an even better choice.

Posted by: Barry Dombro (130.94.123.---)
Date: November 18, 2002 09:09PM

There is a type of saw made that consists of a fine wire for cutting. Sort of like a cheese cutter,that will make clean cuts in hypalon or eva materials. Looks kind of like a hacksaw or coping saw frame but the blade is a fine wire coated with fine abrasive grit. I have seen them at some hardward stores but got mine from a friend who is in the jewelry business.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster