I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building platform
Posted by: Bob Collins (---.phoenix-02rh16rt-az.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 12, 2002 11:07PM

There are plenty of platforems available for those of us who enjoy wrapping fly rods - but does anyone have plans for building one? I enjoy woodworking as well as rod building and since I don't need a motor to turn the rod as I wrap I'd like to build the contraption myself. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building platform
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 13, 2002 11:03AM

Bob,

What I'd suggest is to take a look at the various commercial units available - plenty of people make them and nearly all the dealers carry one or more. Check their sites and look at the photos that depict each unit. Remember the features you think would be useful and jot those down.

In many cases, even if you make your own, there are component parts such as rollers or tension devices that could be purchased and used on a stand or jig of your own design.

I'd make sure to take a look at the rod jig offered by Fast Tackle (link to the left). I think it shows some ingenuity of design that you might find useful.

Posted by: Rick Lewis (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 13, 2002 11:08AM

Bob, I recently built all my own rod building tools. I used mostly scraps from my lumber bins. If you would like to e-mail me off-line at glen.raven@verizon.net I can send you some sketches and photos of what I built. They are generic enough to fit any work area. I have a fully equipped shop, but you could build them with a table saw, drill, and sabre saw. I'm probably going to build some other tools so I can turn more than one blank at a time for drying. That one is challenging my creativity right now.
Let me know how I can help.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 13, 2002 11:18AM

Rick,

Consider a drum-type dryer. Picture two round wood discs, where any number of rods are fastened to the outside of the discs. Then, through the center of the discs is a long steel rod, tube or bar that is supported on each end by a stand or from the ceiling. On end end of this bar is a pulley that is attached by belt to a pulley on a motor. The motor can be mounted to one of the supports.

The length of the center bar is made long enough to allow the longest rods you envision working with to fit inbetween your supports. Obviously, the longer the center bar or tube is, the larger diameter it will have to be to prevent sagging.

These type dryers take up very little room considering the number of rods they can dry at any time. I have one that I used for repair jobs and it still hangs from my ceiling at about head height. It's out of the way, so no shop room was wasted, but was readily available when I needed it. I believe mine is set up to turn 10 rods.

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: November 13, 2002 11:42AM

That is just what I did. I checked out all I could find. Then I made mine so it fits in my lap. Wrap while watching TV. Used three floor board pieces. Center one slides in and out for the long sections of rod. Thread carrier holds four spools of thread. I used a spring for thread tension. I also used a eight inch spring for tension to back up in case of Boo-Boo's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster