I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wait time for CP
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 04:42PM

What is the reason behind waiting 12 to 24 hours after applying CP on thread or decals?
I'm lucky enough to have several bottles of old formula Gudebrod. Just put it on two decals and all is dry to the naked eye so would it be the solids that take the time to dry and harden?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wait time for CP
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 05:31PM

The reason is...better to be 100% sure rather than muck up a lot of work
already completed.

That being said, I have gotten away with using a hair dryer and applied
my finish within an hour of CP application and had no problems.
Both with Flex-Coat and 811 CP's. I do not recommend that though.
Be safe & follow the instructions for the product you are using.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 10:22PM

The dry-to-the-touch test is only the first step in the application of any CP or finish. Each of these formulations also has to cure. That's what the wait time is for. Variables include ambient air temperature, moisture in the air, and the properties of the thread or other stuff you are applying it to. That's also what the wait time was for.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 08:33AM

Color preservers and finishes are two entirely different things. Color preservers dry and two part finishes cure. Moisure in the air has nothing to do with curing of finish.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 11:04AM

Instructions are made to be dummy proof. IF you follow them to teh tee, you should never run into a problem...except for USer Error, or teh user not knowing the proprties of a particular "thing" and expect it to do something it does not. This is true for any item you purchase withinstructions on them.

Once you become familiar with a product, such as CP, adn you can tell whenit's dry and ready for epoxy - you can adjust. I have put epoxy over 811 in 45-60 minutes with no problems, otehr times I've had to wait a couple of hours because I applied more and it took longer to dry.

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.meadwestvaco.com)
Date: December 16, 2008 12:01PM

Tim,

There is one thing that should always on the minds of custom rod builders: "HIGH QUALITY should never be rushed"

We are CUSTOM rod builders - not mass producers.

Keep 'em turnin'

Charlie
tightlinerods@aol.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 01:12PM

WHat does high quality have to do with waiting for CP to dry? Just because it takes longer to do, doesnt' meanit's higher or lower quality than anything else. WE're not talkign abotu aging cheese or wine here, just how long it takes CP to dry.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2008 01:15PM

I suspect what Charlie is getting at is that when quality is the main concern you take your time - you don't rush. If you think the CP might be dry, but you're not absolutely sure, you give it another couple hours just to be safe. I can think of many things I've buggered up because I got in too much of a rush and just wanted to get the thing done. Had I waited another day, or sometimes just another hour, the results would have been much better.

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 10:08PM

Thanks Tom, you are correct. Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

See you in High Point.

Charlie

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2008 10:32PM

"Quality is never an accident." I don't know if you penned that yourself or got it from somebody else, but that's one heck of a great statement for anybody that considers themselves a craftsman. Very well put.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster