I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what is a micro guide?
Posted by: ben runyan (---.161.154.54.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 07:12PM

I have not heard of MircoGuides tell saw people talking about them on this site . I have looked in the glossary and didn't find any information on them. Maybe someone should add this term to the glossary of libary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is a micro guide?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 07:17PM

It's just a name applied to guides with a ring size of less than 5mm. They are available from a few suppliers as small as 1.5mm. Do a SEARCH here for Micro Guides and select ALL DATES and you will get a ton of reading material

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 07:41PM

Mike:
If the Batsons are making them, how come they are not in there new catalog ?? Special order ?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 07:53PM

Bill,

I have no idea. Maybe special order??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 07:55PM

Where are you getting yours ?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 08:04PM

micro guides and tops

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 10:19PM

Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle has "micro guides and tops" from both Batson and Fuji. He keeps them in stock (or at least he tries to) and builds with them ... a one-stop shop.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 10:31PM

I THINK its a guide that is very hard to handle for a rodbuilder, yet when applied to blank and introduced to true fisherman in the proper form,...produces great results and smiles from the handler of the rod. (I should stop thinking at this point) Yet, as a thinker, I have to continue....the micro guides must make for a very light rod fot the handler with limited or no loss in casing distance.....now lets jump this up a few spots to the saltwater scene (light to medium) can you make a lighter rod by toneing down the typical tradional guide sizes? Lets go surf fishing....how do you cast a country mile and have a guide set available that will lighten the top half of the rod, AND increase or equal tradional or common set ups?

I'm probablly wrong, and I will get emails on this one...from a fleaflicker for panfish, to a 13 1/2 ft rod off the rocks of Wakupaku for giant Roosters...tone things down...big word coming up........................expodentially (sp?)

micro guides, to macro micro, to mega micro...its just what I think based on my experiences and thoughts and facts of others.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 01:08AM

Micro guides are just what have been described... at this time they are all single foot fly style guides.

Steve contributed a great photo to show the sizes... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Will you use these on a surf rod? Probably not. Bass rod? Yes. Walleye Rod? Yes

Search for M&M posts. A group of builders are trying to speed up everyone's learning curve with these small guides. All questions and contributions are welcome as this is a collective effort.

MJ - I'd like to hear some of the different, out of the box type things that are being done with surf, boat, and fly rods to see if anything is cross applicable or adaptable to other genres of rods.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 07:55AM

Here is a link to our site, with a picture comparing the "Micro" guides to a silver Quarter.
[www.schneidersrods.com]
They are smaller in every dimension, including a shorter guide foot.

We generally keep them all in stock, and yes, they are a Special Factory Order item from Batson.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: December 15, 2008 08:39AM

Michael the micros are now going into the salt water marsh to make long range casts to redfish on the tournament trail. The targeted fish is in the 8 - 9 pound range (under 27 inches). They do build an Oh/Ahhh rod for the fisherman and are surprisingly tough. The only real issue at present is an acceptable tip top for blanks with a 6 or larger diameter.

Posted by: james gregory (67.72.98.---)
Date: December 15, 2008 12:06PM

ok,we know that micros are smaller and lighter,but can you get a top that is smaller and lighter?will the tube size go up to 5.5 and have a ring 3 or 3.5?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 12:24PM

smallest ring at present 4mm

Date: December 15, 2008 01:06PM

James some of the tip tops used for micro builds can be lighter and smaller -

Take a look at this picture : Click on the photo when it enlarges to view the tube split.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Fuji 4.5 tube 3.8 Ring mounted on a 5.5 blank diameter.

There is also a Batson in the photo for comparison with a 5.5 tube and a 4.0 ring.

I received a Alps 4.0 tip top Saturday that has a 5.5 stainless two prong supported tube.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 01:36PM

A very vertically challenged person who charges you a great deal of money to show you where to fish!!!!!

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: james gregory (---.propel.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 04:06PM

do you just split the tube once and compress the tube around the blank? it looks like the thread was then wraped over the tube up to the end of split. what should you glue the top with?this is interesting to say the least. thanks for the help.jim

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 04:15PM

James see 4 post below.

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 04:12PM

Alex, I'm just glad you "M+M"'s are promoting the micro guides on this forum, and promoting these guides right. IMHO. .......Not enough builders are breaking the box on the heavier SW scene in my area..again IMHO. I walked into a shop today and saw close to 20 spec "customs" with size 50 gathering guides...manuufacterer rods with 40's.

If the guide manufacturers do tests, re test, and finally get to the production phase of a set of guides (that process must cost a ton of money), builders should accept the fact that a new guides no matter how small ...may just be a good thing. The LC series by Fuji for surf rods are utilized by some..but not enough (again IMHO)

I was brainwashed into the belief that Larger guides were good for surfrods, based on reel spool size alone, and built them that way, actually promoted it based on books and the arguements of others. @#$%& me off that I was wrong the whole time!!!

Bill probablly laughed the first time he saw a micro guide...first time I saw LC's I said "yeah right" nobody will accept them in the pigheaded USA rodbuilding world.

If the Asians that make the guides go through test studies,and commit to doing a large run, to be introduced to the Fishing public and the bulk manufacterures..it should be accepted by the rodbuilding community without question...in order to build a better rod . They got the money.

Tell a Bamboo Fly Rod artist to put single foot titaniums on a 5wt?...aint gonna happen

Tell an old school builder in the Northeast to use a # 20 LC on a long surf rod...."fagetaboutit"

....people in general hate change.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: December 17, 2008 09:30PM

MJ I agree - I tested your premise today - walked into a McDonalds and when he looked at me and said "yeawhachawan" I asked for a foot long with mustard and kraut! Guess what I ended up eating a double cheeseburger and chocolate shake - they will not change ever ever ever -

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 18, 2008 12:19PM

Shoulda gone to Burger King....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster