I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod finish/spiral wrap preferences
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:12PM

As i have said with the countless topics that I'm sure you guys have heard from a hundred noobs, I am new and am wondering about the preferences of those of you who have been wrapping, successfully for quite a while. I was about to order some high build flex coat and realized that I should probably ask you guys if that is something that a lot of you prefer. I have heard that flexcoat is a safe bet, but there are four types of flexcoat that I have come across so far. The high build, the lite and the UV resistant high build and lite. and of couse a dozen other brands and types. Even though I am asking what everybody's preferences are, I would also like to know what everybody thinks would be the best for a beginner, obviously I want the best, but not if it will look like trash because I don't have enough experience.

I have a great uncle who has been wrapping rods for years, but he lives a long ways away, not very easy to talk to and pretty stuck in his ways so when I asked him this next question he dismissed it instantly. So I will ask you guys who seem like you are a little more open minded, I was doing some research a while back and ran across this acid or spiral wrap. I noticed that the acid rod sight that i got this info from is a sponsor here, but what do you all think about wrapping casting rods like this? I don't think that I would do it on lighter freshwater rods, but on saltwater rods I think that if what they say is accurate it might be worth it, eventually since I am new. What do you all think?

As always thanks for the help guys!
James

Hanapa'a - Ancient Hawaiian for Hook Up!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish/spiral wrap preferences
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:31PM

James please click on the Search feature at the top of this board:

Enter the word - spiral - in the search window

Change the date to All Dates

Click on Search

There are 235 pages of information on the subject of spiral wrapped rods of all types.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:37PM

James,

Rod finish's are much like cars, you just have to try out a few and see which one fits your needs the best, they all work. I prefer Aftcote or Threadmaster.

Spiral wrapping a casting rod has many advantages in my mind, and I spiral wrap 99% of the bass rods I build NO matter how heavy power or light power the rod may be. .

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2008 08:28PM

I wrote the copy for the Flex Coat catalog. Get yourself the standard high-build Flex Coat and give it a go. It's easy to use, works fine and will do about anything you would want. This is another one of those areas where you need to follow the directions, don't get fancy and try not to bother the finish too much. It knows what to do.

All casting rods with guides on top will be inherently unstable. All casting rods, spiral wrapped, will be inherently stable. Casting distance between the two is a practical wash. Sensitivity is the same. Decide if you prefer a stable or unstable rod and go from there.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:53AM

Perfect, exactly what I wanted to know. Thank all of you again, and I was wondering what all of you were talking about with the search, especially since until just now I had not seen the search button, thanks, now I don't have to bother everybody with the same questions I'm sure you have heard dozens of times. Thanks
James

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 09:22AM

The finish question. Always lots of opinions on brand favorites.

I started with Flex Cote high build and decided to try Flex Cote light, which I liked better. Threadmaster came along and it was sort of between FC high build and FC light, but too heavy for my tastes at the time. However I liked the better UV protection. Threadmaster lite came out and it's my go to finish now, although I've experimented with Swifty Diamondite and like it as well. The TM has a very long cure time so if I have a quicker job, I'll use Diamondite. I recently took back a rod for repair that I did with FC lite. It's yellowed pretty badly, even after 3 years of only occasional use in the sun.

On spiral wraps. I do all my boat rods and saltwater rods in spiral wraps. They spend a lot of time under load trolling or fighting bigger fish. The more time the rod is under load, the more advantage you have with a spiral wrapped rod. Casting rods spend much more time casting/retrieving and not so much under load so it becomes a personal preference. Claims of casting distance increases are mixed.

Good luck.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 10:26AM

Finishes are personal prefence. I finally settled on Threadmaster because of it's exceptional clarity and ease of use. I use Simple Spiral on 95% of my casting and trolling rods

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster