I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread match question
Posted by: David Page (---.48.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 09:55PM

I'm working on a project for a former marine POW. Basically he's told me to do what I think will look good as far as thread goes so I want to do a rod in the colors of the Marines for him. The problem is I'm not sure which of the 4 billion shades of red is in the insignia. I have an Old Gold color that'll match up well with the gold color I just need a match to the red. By some chance have nay of you guys done a rod with these colors or know off of the top of your head? Thanks for any help I can get.
Here's a link to a pic of the insignia.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Page
E-town, KY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2008 09:59PM by David Page.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread match question
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:31AM

We have built several rods in the Marine colors (we live near Cherry Point MCAS and Camp Lejeune). I have the specs from those rods at the house, which is about 350 miles from here at the moment. I'll be glad to look them up for you when I get back home next weekend.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:57AM

Awesome, I was a marine and it is nice to hear that you care enough about the specifics for this Devil Dogs rod to research the exact shade of our Eagle Globe and Anchor. Good luck on the rod, and I hope you put a pic of it when it is finished on the pic page of this forum. I have been looking at all of the amazing things that all of you have done that I didn't even know were possible. Oorah!! good luck.
James

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 07:43AM

David,

I am not able to help with the exact colors. However, You are able to get the insignia at Mudhole.com.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 11:25AM

The official name of the color is scarlet, if that helps.

Walt

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 11:52AM

David you must embed a Marine lapel pin into the butt of this rod also. I did one for my nephew who is a Chief Master Sgt in the Air Force at Warner Robins. It got great reviews and I got 2 more orders.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 02:48PM

Good call jay, if you can put it in somewhere, the but cap is the only place that I think that it would work, but you guys are the masters, when a marine graduates he becomes a marine as soon as his senior drill instructor hands him a black eagle globe and anchor that is worn on the lapel. That one piece carries a significant amount of meaning for me, and likely for him, they are black, and keep in mind there are two kinds, mirror images because one is worn on each side of the collar and the anchor must always point towards the heart. So if you put one on the but in my opinion it should be the one that when you look directly at it, the bottom of the anchor is canted towards the left. David, if I can figure out this personal e-mail thing, I will send you a pic of mine. Good luck. Semper Fi
James

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 08:59PM

There is a photo posted in the gallery here of a Marine Corps theme cross wrap.
I spent some time searching but haven't found it. I know it's there somewhere
though. Perfect "Dress Blues" match.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster