I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Reel Seat Sizing
Posted by: George Mock (---.sub-75-196-122.myvzw.com)
Date: December 05, 2008 08:37AM

Is there any rhyme or reason to fly rod reel seat sizes? I mean you have UL (or DL) 3's, 5's, 8's, etc. but the numbers don't don't seem to coincide with increases in seat sizes. It seems to me that the only thing to go on is the actual dimensions of the seat, i.e. length, diameter, etc. If all fly reel feet were a standard size it wouldn't be an issue and I believe most newly manufactured fly reels are standarized but if you're working with older reels, sizing becomes an issue.

I'm building a small 6'6" fly rod that I'm pairing up with a small Hardy reel. The seat I chose for the rod about swallows up that little reel. The seat has a wood insert which I'm going to cut down to make the overall length of the seat more in line with the size of the reel but I was just wondering if I"m missing something when it comes to selecting reel seat sizes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Reel Seat Sizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2008 09:16AM

No, there is no rhyme nor reason to the fly rod nomenclature of many seat manufacturers. Those numbers are simply company model numbers and may have nothing at all to do with the sizing - you have to check their catalogs for that information.

Some years ago at the annual Fly Tackle Dealer Show, a move was made to have fly reel manufacturers standardize reel foot sizing. Some adopted it, others did not. Until everyone conforms, your best bet is to check the fit of the intended reel to the seat before installing the seat on the blank. A real pain, I know, but that's the way it is.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 10:38AM

Good Morning George,
I have an old Hardy Flyweight reel and I have found that the A7 reel seat available from Batson, Pac Bay, and American Tackle works fine with that reel. If you want to go more upscale you can compare the dimensions of the A7 reel seats with reel seats from Struble, Bellinger, REC, and others. Batson and Pac Bay also sell Nickel Silver reel seats that will fit your needs as well. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 11:02AM

I have used several of the Stuble small diameter reel seats lately for 2,3,4 wt fly rods. They work great because they are desiged for that much smaller rod. They can be pricey but are really high quality.

Matt White

Posted by: George Mock (---.sub-75-196-217.myvzw.com)
Date: December 05, 2008 07:21PM

Thanks for the responses.....I appreciate the help.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: December 06, 2008 05:47PM

i think this is one of those situations when a supplier for components which offers that extra knowledge and service for your needs beats out the high volume sources (none of which are listed as vendors to the left).

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster