I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nickel Silver Reacton to Aluminum
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 12:54PM

I use nickel silver reel seat hardware on my fly rods, and have been noticing what appears to be a reaction between the nickel threaded barrel and the aluminum feet on my fly reels. A yellowish white, powdery residue is forming on the nickel barrel where the foot of my reel lays on the barrel. The residue is pretty stubborn when I try to remove it, especially between the fine threads.

Has anyone else noticed this happening? BTW, I am staying away from naming the reel seat hardware manufacturer on purpose.

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nickel Silver Reacton to Aluminum
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 01:59PM

I don't know much abotu chemestry and mettalurgy, but I do know this sort of peolem was common with the aluminum SW reel seats and steel reel foot bases.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 02:32PM

Galvanic Corriosion:

Link to read about: [boatingsailing.suite101.com]

Struble folks are sponsors on the left of this board may can help you in minimizing. If the seat is contacting salt or bracking water it will react at a faster rate. There is a cell set up by the presence of different metals - not much you can do other than keeping clean/ubed to keep away water. One way to stop it is to place an non conductive barrier between the two metals.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 02:32PM

Duplicate delete:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 02:33PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 05:18PM

A liitle dielectric grease like used in bulb sockets may do the trick-if you can keep it from getting messy. Clean and disassemble when not in use.

Chris

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 10:52AM

Hi Jeff and Chris,
You might want to neatly cut a piece of electrician's tape to fit the bottom of the reel seat foot to eliminate the little battery that gets set up between two dissimilar metals. I'm guessing that if the reel seat foot is anodized, that the surface has been scratched allowing the corrosion to start. The aluminum oxide which forms is somewhat gelatinous when wet, but forms a white powder (alumina) when dry. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 08:35AM

I am writing to thank everyone for the information. The reel feet make contact with the nickel silver reel seat at three points, the threaded barrel and the upper and lower hoods. To try to eliminate the contact I removed the feet from the real and brushed on a few light coats of Max Seal. Max Seal is water based polyurethane and dries hard and clear. The reel won't see use for several months but I'm hoping that the coating will eliminate metal to metal contact and the resulting electrolytic process.

Thanks again,

Jeff Shafer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster