I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting Epoxy on Ferrules of Assembled Rod
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: December 02, 2008 04:44PM

How do you all paint epoxy onto the ferrules of a rod that you are turning with all sections assembled? I have been using painters tape but the fit is very very tight, sometimes the sections slip, and I am concerned about cranking down on the "female section".

Obviously, I do not want to get epoxy on the "male sections". If not blue painters tape, what do y'all use?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting Epoxy on Ferrules of Assembled Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 04:49PM

First if you can do them separately, if not, twist the sections together it will make them tighter then tape off. You should not be putting that much finish on that it spills or levels out on to the male section.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 05:01PM

I always put finish on the ferrule wraps with the rod put together. Just be careful and don't run it off the end of the ferrule onto the male section. I run it right to the edge, less than 1/16" away from the edge. As Tim said , If you put too much on it may spill over the edge onto the male section.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: William Blake (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 07:18PM

Put light plastic wrap ( saran wrap) over male section tape loose ends, put rod together and go to it.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 01:47AM

Vasoline will repel any epoxy finish spill over so until
you get proficient at application try putting some on the
male side after you assemble the sections.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 07:00PM

Tony,
I always use painters tape on the male section of the rod.

Obviously you won't be able to push the blanks together as far, with the tape in place compared to no tape. However, I have never had an issue with not being able to remove the blanks, nor have I ever had an issue with the blanks slipping.

I think that one of the very first multi section rods that I did, was done with no tape on the male section. I had the misadventure to get a very small amount of finish on the male section and had a very very difficult time in separating the blanks.
After going to the tape method, I have never had an issue with blank removal. I also have been fortunate to not get any epoxy on the male section either.

Saran wrap can work, but one of the issues with saran wrap is that it is too easy to puncture the wrap and have it slid down the rod and not protect the male section.
I also dislike putting any kind of mold release or grease on the male section, because it is too easy to have a brush slip and end up with grease in your finish that contaminats the rest of the guides.
The post was correct in that either saran wrap and or grease on the male section will prevent sticking but I don't use either for the afore mentioned reasons.

However, if you are very very careful and don't let the brush slip, the use of vasilene to use as a separating agent works very well and the finish will NOT stick to the vasilene coated surfaces.

(I do keep the jar of vasilene in the shop for other uses including parts sticking prevention on glue ups. It also makes a very good lubricant for multi section rods, before shipment to avoid having stuck joints. ) Also, it works well to keep your hands from chaping in the dry of cold climates.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: December 03, 2008 07:15PM

In addition to using tape and vaseline to protect the male section, we do one more thing: after we apply the finish to the female part of the ferrule we take a clean, lint-free piece of paper towel and fold it into a sharp edge. The while the rod is turning the hold that edge gently, on the male section, right up against the small ledge that is the end of the female section when it's in place. The towel will pick up any stray drips on one or two revolutions and that's all you need to do.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: December 05, 2008 01:19PM

Thanks to all who replied. I think I will stick with the tape and "not so tight".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster