I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

newbie needs help
Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 12:07PM

I did a but wrap with the HT braids and finished with 4 coats of thread master lite. It looks good except for the high and low spots between the bare blank and the braid? is the answer more coats or what. Thnaks for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie needs help
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 01:14PM

Scott,
You have to lightly sand the high spots down and then put another coat or two of finish on. Don't sand so far down as to get into your wrap. To keep things straight and level I use a sanding block with 400 grit sand paper. Also put masking tape in front of and back of your wrap to protect your rod from the sandpaper . Hope this helps.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 01:40PM

Like Terry said but you might also want to use a high build finish instead of a light finish on open wraps

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 04:11PM

Thanks, I was afraid you guys would say sanding, I know I would need at least one more coat before sanding, because I just completely covered the thread on the fourth coat, The high build make sense to .

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 04:12PM

Hi & low spots are inherant with open (blank shows thru under) crosswraps.
Don't sweat them as they cannot be avoided that I know of. However, you can
build up the finish with multiple coats of finish until the low areas are highers
than the thread crossing points then sand down the higher ridges with a block.
YOU MUST USE A BLOCK! Then apply a very light coat to bring back the clear shine.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 09:43PM

Scotty , here is a trick I learned from Mike Barkley a couple years ago that works well for me.
When you get the finish on the wrap, take a playing card or an old credit card and hold it to the bottom of the rod while it is turning. That will force the finish into the low areas and squeegee the finish off the high areas. The rod must be turning from start to dry finish. If you do 2 or 3 coats of finish like that it will end up pretty smooth. When I tried it I was using Flex Coat high build, I now use Thread Master and haven't tried that method with Thread Master.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster