I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod help
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 02:18AM

Hello All,
I would like to ask for some help.
A budy of mine wants a spinning rod and I have never built one. Based on some info that he has provided, I am going to go with an IP840. I 'think' he'd like an nps seat. I'm planning on building a split grip with no fore grip and the seat up-locking. I got that idea from a post by Bill Stevens.
He is not sure which reel he will be putting on it, but he will be using 4lb test, so it would be fairly small.

What i need is some suggestions on guides. I plan on using size 3 micros for the running guides (and also the intersect guide if I'm reading the NGC primer correctly). I know that I should have everything set up and let this dictate my guide selection. However, I'm on a limited budget and I won't be building many spinning rods. Any extra guides that I buy will probably just collect dust. I was looking at Batson's "match" spinning guides. I think that the light line and small reel will let me get away with a smaller ring and these guides will get me the height I need.
Would I be safe getting a 16, a 12, a 10 and an 8? This should give me enough to work with right?

Any other suggestions would be great as well. Thanks all.
Steven

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod help
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: November 30, 2008 02:55AM

I wouldn't assume that the reel is small. He could be using a larger reel, spooled with lighter line. Eventually, you will need his reel so that you can place your guides. I would add a 20 to your list, even though you probably won't use it. It's only a couple more dollars. If you do end up needing it later, you'll spend that plus shipping. Also, having that extra guide will allow you to experiment with a few more different set-ups to see which one casts best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 03:00AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: November 30, 2008 05:21AM

Hi Steven,
You may what to give this set up some thought...go with VS3 guides in a 20-12-08-06 then run 4 #06 fly guide to the end...so 8 guides total and tip...I use this set up alot ...give me a call and we can talk...I have all components you need in stock.

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 06:32AM

Dang Bill, night owl like me? Actually I'm pullin a couple of night shifts at work this weekend here in the Port of Los Angeles. I just placed an order before seeing your post. I took George's advice and got a 20, 16, 12, 10, 8 to experiment then 5's flys the rest of the way out. I actually looked at the VS3s but for some reason stuck with the 'match' guides. Being my first spinning rod build, I'll probably take you up on the phone call regarding the NGC. Thanks for the reamer by the way.
Have a good one,
Steven

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 07:18AM

Stephen-
It would be best to have your friend decide (and purchase if necessary) what size reel he intends to use. I agree with you that it is likely that he has a small reel in mind based on line test you mentioned. Reels designed for larger lines have drag systems designed for larger lines and usually don't work well with small line. You know him well enough to determine whether he may need help with the choice. Knowledge of target species is a factor in choice of reel. Until that is decided you may be shooting in the dark as to guide size choices. The spool size will give you an idea of which stripper to use. You did not mention the rod's length-if it is to be shorter than 6' then one of the larger guides you mentioned is more likely to become the dust collector-testing will reveal which one. An extra running guide may be necessary if you eliminate one of the larger sizes. Keep in mind that guide height will change with ring size and can influence size choice as well.

Doesn't sound like passing knots through the guides or tip is going to be a problem with your choice of 3s as running guides so I would recommend using a tip with the smallest available ring size to lessen weight at that point. In the end it is better to have a couple of dust collectors than have a rod that doesn't perform well.

Chris

Stephen-I'm a Stevedore in the port of Charleston

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 08:03AM by Chris Davis.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 10:40AM

edit first built

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 10:41AM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster