I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Friday _______M&M (micro maniacs) Volume #3
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2008 10:40AM

After conversing with the Chief M&M in my household (wife).

Having been informed of the need to rise early and be in the stores so we beat all the other early rising shoppers, and that my unwilling involvement is required.

Based on this new found information I regretfully inform the board that the posting of Volume #3 will be delayed till approximately 12:00 o’clock Noon Eastern Standard Time. (I hope)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Friday _______M&M (micro maniacs) Volume #3
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 12:09PM

Good luck with that Steve. I can see getting up at " oh dark hundred " to fish or put a coat of finish on a rod, but to go shopping? I hope you are going to Bass Pro or Cabela`s to make it worth the effort.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 12:28PM

Oh boy...the S word.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 01:23PM

Truth in advertising:

Cabella's 12 page stuffer was all hunting - only one reel listed on next to last page.

I guess Cabellas management in the home office does not recognize that this weekend is the largest fishing one of the year in south Louisiana.

Every fisherman seeking a bargain will wait until tomorrow to take advantage of the HUGE savings at their local Bass Pro Store. The national 12 page stuffer in the Thanksgiving Newspaper advertises the bargan of a life time for Professional Grade Fishing Rod - Browning Combo, six foot rod and spinning reel for $19.95 - or you have the option of buying the upgraded reel for $ 39.95 and get the rod free! When they find micros maybe the price will drop to $ 0.99.

I am quite glad my turkey in in the oven!

me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 05:00PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: November 27, 2008 01:26PM

Response to previous Volumes of the M&M Rod building.org threads has been overwhelming.
All participants of the M&M unorganized group have literally been flooded with emails of support and requests for further
information.

It is quite evident, when you compare the number of "board hits" to the actual posters on the thread there are a lot of interested builders who have chosen to remain "silent" on the Forum.

It is hoped all builders continue to read the presented material and we urge direct participation by sharing your experiences both good and bad.

We know where the micro technology will eventually take us but it is very difficult to determine the present marketing power and size of the micro rod market.
Your assistance is needed in presenting a united image to the manufacturers.

Tomorrow when Volume #3 is posted. Here is some of the information we are seeking - please consider taking an active part in Volume 3.

1. I have purchased micro components

2. I have built a fishing rod using the components

3. My experiences have been positive or negative.

Thank you.

M&Ms

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 02:40PM

Steve,
Would it be acceptable for those of us that have not purchased, built with, or had positive/negative experiences with micro components to simply take an oath to use them on their very next build?

Clyde

Date: November 27, 2008 03:39PM

Acceptable? Absolutely!
But not necessary!
Please feel free to join in

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 05:14PM

I haven't purchased any 'micro' components since this last revival.

I have, however, purchased small components to build a 12 foot UL Surf rod. It started as a project to make a rod for freshwater crappie fishing and it served well. It was designed to cast tiny crappie jigs while providing enough moxie to pull crappie from some rather heavy stuff.

I took up serious surf fishing again after my Pa in law passed and I lost my desire to fish in freshwater. The rod followed along and worked casting tiny Pompano jigs while pulling out some big fish.

The rod is constructed of some kind of composite material; black with a blue metallic sheen. Don't ask me. I saw it and I liked it.

Its 8 guides were located using Don Morton's angle system with some tweaking. He and I were corresponding at the time and these distances worked. I have no knots so I could go small.

It has 8 guides as I said before with 6- 7mm guides; one 8mm and an 10mm stripper. The distances are 7,8,9,101/2,12,14,16 and 18 inches This places the stripper at 35 inches from the reel stem(middle of the seat). The seat is 11 inc hes from the butt.

I fish it with an old ABU Cardinal reel with 6 lb test mono It's a winner.

All this talk about micros tends to make me go and get some tinier guides and wrap another 12 foot graphite blank that I have lying around.

Sorry about the long post. C2

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2008 07:15PM

That's the point - we've always advocated using the smallest guides possible, provided they'll pass your connections and do what you need to do. So if you didn't have access to the micros when you built that rod and were able to use 6 or 7mm guides without any problems, you might be able to go even smaller. There's only one way to know - try it.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 07:50PM

Building my 1st-all micros on top with the exception of a 5mm butt guide. Its a 7' MH casting rod. Guides are temp. attached-intentionally put perhaps 2 more than I think I may wind up with-static testing will probably dictate removal of at least one.. I am using 3.5 Batsons that Alex Dziengielewski left with me after his recent visit. Finished rod weight will apparently be 1.2 oz over blank weight. Split grip...2-piece seat. Rear grip length 10 1/4". I temp. attached the guides using 10lb. mono. Two ties-one where leg turns upward and another about halfway to the toe. Ties are with knots opposite rings. I will leave 3-4" tags on knots until final placement is done-then the tags are cut at the knot. When wrapping I'll cut the first tie when I reach it-guide is still secured-have not had problems with guide moving. Cut the 2nd when I reach it. To attach the guide to the blank I first tie the line tight to the blank then lift on tag ends to slip foot under-then make 2nd tie. Works well for me.

What I'm most pleased with is the absence of tip weight-with a reel attached balance point is dead under level wind. Almost as if you are only holding the reel in your hand. I'm sold.

Chris

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 28, 2008 12:58AM

Hey Chris... those are 3s... SURPRISE.

Signed...

the "SNEAKY M&M"

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2008 01:35AM

If you build it they will come.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster