I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crankbait blanks
Posted by: matthew smoot (76.210.47.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 01:33PM

I looking at building a crank bait rod and have narrowed it down to 2 blanks

1 st blank CB70M rainshadow blank
2cd BS706S-Glass

any one have any input
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crankbait blanks
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:01PM

How about a Castaway XP3 904 or 905 or maybe an MB843.
You can get them at Swampland Tackle, sponsor on the left.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.193.55.67.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:38PM

matthew smoot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I looking at building a crank bait rod and have
> narrowed it down to 2 blanks
>
> 1 st blank CB70M rainshadow blank
> 2cd BS706S-Glass
>
> any one have any input
> thanks

Of those two blanks, I have built on the CB70M and really liked the outcome.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 03:00PM

Matthew, I have a CB66M spinning rod and a CB70MH baitcaster. They are nice, light blanks. The BS706S is on my want list for ICRBE.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 03:18PM

what kind of crankbait? casting or spinning?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 04:09PM

Matthew -- The Batson crankbait blanks are an exceptional value to begin with. A lot of bang for the buck! These blanks were designed with the use of crankbaits in mind. You do need to coincide the choice of blank to the size of crankbait that is going to be used and also at what depth the bait being used will dive to. I find the CB70M is better for small to mid-size bodied baits and for shallow to medium depth baits. To me, it is not a "Big, Deep Bait Rod". You will find that the Batson series of crankbiat blanks are very light-weight in your hand, compared to glass blanks. They are a light-weight graphite blank that will perform like the characteristics you need for cranking, without the extra weight of glass. If I can be of any help assisting you or discussing any other questions you may have, just contact me, as we are a distributor for the Batson line of products. The Holiday Season is fast approaching and we'll work up a Christmas Special, just for you or anyone else that would like to particiapte in holiday savings.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 06:46PM

Bob McKamey - That is the first post I have seen from you on this board in quite a while. I hope the reason is you have a few minutes to spare - which means your mom and dad are doing better - hope you have extra time in the coming days! I know many of your customers will be quite happy! We hope that you will be in a position to spend a little time on this board after Thanksgiving to share some of you insights on the micro spinning rods on Volume 3 of the M&M series.

Posted by: Tom Osthoff (---.wk.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 11:12PM

If your looking for a rod to handle large crankbaits ( Poe's 400's, DD22's etc.) in depth ranges of 10' to 15' you might want to look at the St. Croix 3C70HM. I built this blank several months ago. I extended it to 7'6" and spiral wrapped it with LSG3.5's. It performed very well on cranking the ledges here on Kentucky Lake. An added bonus is that it will throw a Rat-l-trap a country mile with 15# mono. My two cents worth.

Date: November 20, 2008 01:43AM

I looking for a castign rod for throwning 6&7A bombers, DLN normans, mabye a series 5 SK nothing over 1/2 baits

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 08:06AM

There are four crank blanks ranging from 6'8' to 7' in the Casaway XP3.

For long range work also the following can be ordered by direct contact.

Castaway eight foot XP3 Multi Modulus 2, 3, 4 and 5 power cranking blanks.

Choose you lure and get the correct one.

Only the 4 and 5 power are over two ounces total blank weight..

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2008 08:10AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 04:37PM

Mat - since you've narrowed it down to those 2 blanks - I think the main question to be answered now is what level does the angler you're building for fish? - if the answer is close to the Pro level - the BS706S-glass has no equal at that level for tight line moving lures. If the answer is club level or below - the CB70M would be the way to go.

Date: November 21, 2008 01:53AM

I am building this rod for myself I thinking I might kill 2 birds with one stone and step up to a MH action rod to be able to throw BIG cransk on it as well as the middle runners also. thanks for your help guys

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 06:02PM

Matthew, the BS706 can throw all of the weights needed. I have one and like it, but sell a lot more of the graphite rods due to weight etc.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 04:09PM

If you want the feel of glass and the light feel of graphite find an Seeker @#$%&-706 Extreme S-glass. This is a fantasic blank!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 10:11AM

Maybe I'm just not a pro level fisherman, but I just cannot understand what justification there is for a glass bait casting rod these days when the blank manufacturers have done such a good job of matching the flex of glass with lighter and more sensitive graphite. I have tried glass, but just cannot resist going back to my Loomis crankbait rod-it's so easy to cast, so light, so sensitive, so slim. No comparison. What am I missing?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster