I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathes...again
Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.ptr.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 11:09AM

I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy a lathe. I've read lots but still have a couple questions. Do I need a self indexing lathe to obtain the tight tolerences for reel seats? If I buy a self indexing machine, can I still freehand with hand tools? Thanks, E...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathes...again
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 11:54AM

self indexing is nice to have ,but not needed for handle or reel seat work. i like the jet, but delta is coming out with a new midi lathe in jan that has some great features. variable speed is not necessary, but is very convenient and nice to have. The rikon lathe looks good and i have heard good thing about it as well as the turncrafter pro. remember that the lathe is only a part of what you need to get started, lathe, tools, chuck, sharpening system,mandrels,etc.
good luck as turning is very addictive

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2008 05:05PM

I'm not sure what you're asking... the indexing feature has nothing to do with tolerances of the machine nor the parts you turn on it. It is simply used for marking axis in degrees and/or locking the piece so you can perform a task with the lathe turned off and the piece stationairy.

I was with JP in Hickory and saw the new Delta lathe. Very nice. I suspect it is their response to the Rikon model which has tended to best the other mini/midi lathes by increasing the swing by an inch or so and the bed length by about 3 or 4 inches. No doubt Jet and others will answer with their own slightly larger models very soon.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 05:13PM

The Jet, Delta, Ricon and Turncrafter Pro are ALL very good machine at a good cost/value. I have the Turncrafter Pro with variable speed and love it Like J.P. said, the lathe itself is the minor investment. Chucks, decent tools, grinder/ sharpening system, mandrels, etc will add a considerable amount to the price.

I would also highly recommend getting the bed extension with the purchase (it's usually cheaper that way) It makes life a lot easier for boring out stock for grips, seats, etc.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 11:17PM

Eddie,
Go with a midi - variable speed, and lathe bed extension.

Many nice lathes on the market for a decent price.

Penn state markest some nice lathes that are reasonably priced.
Also, delta, jet and others makes some nice ones as well.

Remember, the lathe is only part of the purchase.
You will need cutting tools, chucks, chuck adapters, manderals, tail stock adapters etc.
Do yourself a favor and plan on spending at least another $200-$300 on accessories before you are finished.
So, don't be suprised when you find it necessary to buy some accessories to do a particular job. However, don't stop the purchase of the accessory to do a particular job, because if chosen correctly - it will make the work enjoyable and fun.

Choose wisely and enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 10:08AM

Since I was a bit space constrained, I wasn't able to buy a bed extension. I looked for a lathe that would do all the grip sizes for me, up to those long spey rod fore grips of 14" +.

I settled on a Turncrafter Pro with the 17" bed, Nova chuck, Jacobs chuck for drilling/boring, a set of mandrels, and a few Sorby lathe tools.

It's a great set up and I can do any type of grip or reel seat I need and it fits my space.

I would recommend the 17" bed length if you don't purchase the bed extension.

Terry

Date: November 15, 2008 12:38PM

The Rikon, new Delta and the new Jet, all have 20" bed lengths. This generally negates the need for a bed extension for what most rod builders do.

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 05:21PM

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I don't know the correct terms to use in my question. I'm speaking of a comparison between the lathes (I think metal lathes) that cut automatically and a wood lathe where you cut using hand held tools. Can a person cut a cylinder accurate enough with hand tools for a reel seat? E...

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 07:41PM

Eddie,
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would guess that the number of builders that do it with a wood lathe is many times the number that use metal lathes. I may be wrong but I THINK that you would be unable to do grips or other curved items. It's just my opinion, but I think that the versatility of a wood lathe far surpasses that of a metal lathe. I haven't seen anyone with a wood lathe that hasn't become addicted and started doing everything from Game Calls to Pepper Mills

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 15, 2008 09:08PM

You can do it faster with a wood lathe and your own hand doing the cutting. Just takes some practice.

Machine lathes are wonderful, but without certain attachments they do not allow the freedom of expression and creativity that a wood lathe and hand tools offer.

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 09:52PM

Great.. That's what I wanted to know. Later, E...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster