I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying Color Preserver
Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: October 22, 2008 12:56AM

I have never applied CP to my wraps and have just created an elaborate cross wrap. I want to apply CP to the wrap before I tie it off, but don't want to make a simple mistake at this point. Also how long do I have to wait before I apply the second cote? Thanks for any help.

Mike Nash

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying Color Preserver
Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2008 01:13AM

I always tie off my butt wraps before I cp...unless I the cross wrap is an open wrap and I put an under wrap underneath,in that case I cp the under wrap before I start the cross wrap...anyways I use flex coat CP and I usually wait about an hour before my next coat but I believe you can do it sooner..my memory is a little hazy on the exact wait time..but if you wait until it clears up or it good and dry you shouldn't have a problem.

when you tie off your cross wrap make about 10 rotations with your tie off thread and then start cutting the tape loose... after you get the tape loose just take your time and watch what threads you cut and you'll be fine and don't forget to use a razor blade and taper the threads.

Dave

Date: October 22, 2008 01:25AM

Is there any reason that you tie it off before you apply the CP? I was thinking that the CP would kindof glue down the threads and help avoid an accident and having to start over. But on the other hand I think it would be easier to wrap it off first.

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2008 03:19AM

thats a good point and might be good for you to try at first..but not really necessary if you go slowly and pay attention as you cut the threads and taper them..once you do a few it becomes second nature anyway.

Date: October 22, 2008 04:17AM

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I just did like you say and went really slow. I increased the thread tension a little to ensure that it held my design down and did about 10-15 wraps before removing the tape. It turned out great. I will apply CP sometime soon. When applying it do you only put it on the threads? I know that when I apply epoxy I like to overlap the threads a little to "seal" them to the blank. Is there any prep work that needs to be done prior to applying the CP? Thanks for all of the help and be looking for pictures of it in the gallery in the next few days!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2008 09:36AM

The first thing you want to do, is use CP to "tack" down the centers and corners. Just a drop or so on each center.

You have to be careful when applying a nice wet coat of CP to a butt wrap. The amount of thread there and the amount of CP required to get it wetted out can sometimes cause the thread to swell - loosening the entire wrap. This is why it's a good idea to tack down the centers and corners/edges. Then, when you apply a full coat of CP, the wrap won't swell and loosen.

Some apply CP before tying off, some do it afterwards. Either way will work. Applying it before will keep any threads from slipping. Just make sure you have packed and aligned everything prior to putting on any CP.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2008 09:51AM

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: October 22, 2008 10:06AM

What they say Mike. I replied to this on your tape question thread.

Cheers
Harold

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 22, 2008 10:51PM

Tom is right about just a drop or two on the threads before you ties it off.

Either way, apply two coats afterwards to prep it for the epoxy finish. Done correctly, you can also basically use CP to level the wrap, whether open ot closed, to give a really smooth epoxy finish.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: October 23, 2008 02:05AM

When you say "level the wrap" do you mean to fill in the tiny gap between the individual threads that make up the wrap? Thanks again for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster