I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Colors
Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 02:27PM

Ok. I admit it. I can't pick out colors to save my life. I'm building a 9' fly rod with a St. Croix SC V blank. It's listed as a "Gloss Gallatin Green". I need help choosing complimentary thread colors for the guides (I'm using silver trim bands or ?) and a butt wrap where there will be a grouse feather inlay. The seat is gun metal gray and I'm using a cork handle. I'm not opposed to using contrasting colors if they don't totally overpower the rod's own color. If I could get some ideas from you all I would really appreciate it...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Colors
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 02:36PM

Why don't you use a green nylon without CP and let it go translucent and "blend" into the actual blank ... put some metallic gun metal trim bands on the hook keeper and stripper.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: October 20, 2008 02:40PM

green and black "classic twist" thread which I think RICE of Fish Hawk now produces. This color combo looks sharp on that blank
Buzz

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 06:49PM

I am one of those who thought black thread was boss - I thought color palette had something to do with the amount of red pepper in the gumbo. If you are "sensitive" to color and the other finer things in rodbuilding think about attending the Saturday 10:00 am seminar at High Point in February. It will be one of the shortest hours of your life.

[home.earthlink.net]

Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:41PM

I think that gold and the lighter browns go good with green. On a fly rod I built I used dark green NCP thread with met. gold for the guide wraps and met. green, met. gold, and NCP dark green for a buttwrap. These colors seem to look good together.

Mike

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 05:13AM

Mark,

For what it is worth i did a green spinning rod blank with Gudebrod 206. It is a Burgandy color and it came out real nice with a gold trim band.

I can send you a spool if you need some. Just send me an e-mail.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 12:42PM

I was gonna suggest a red without CP, any of the true reds to darker reds woudl probably work

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2008 04:32PM

If you happen to be in town for the 2009 Rod Building Expo, make sure to attend Karen Campbell's seminar on selecting colors. She packed the room with over 120 people last year - it was that good. Karen uses Nature's own method for color selection and it's a very eye opening way to find those color combinations that have been proven in the wild for millions of years.

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: October 22, 2008 12:04PM

Since I will not be able to make it to the Rod Expo in 2009 (I'm in Minnesota) will there be a way to get the handouts or any other material from the show even from other presenters? It would be great to be there but it's not in the cards right now.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2008 11:35AM

Sorry no. The cost to film, edit, produce and create DVDs or that sort of thing is far greater than the demand for them. Been there, done that. Just not in the cards I'm afraid. Sorry.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 23, 2008 10:00PM

Mark,

The best I can suggest for you, is to email the presenters after the show and see if they have any extra handouts they can send you. Karen can be reached through Scott Parsons.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster