I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod from fly rod blank?
Posted by: Ernie Swanson (---.gene.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 05:13PM

I'm think of building a spinning rod for salmon and steelhead and want something about 8 - 8 1/2 feet long. Since I'll be traveling with the rod, I want it to be 4 pieces, but there doesn't seem to be many spinning blanks like this for a reasonable price. I've seen 4 piece fly rod blanks and was thinking of making a spinning rod from a 9 foot, 8 weight fly rod blank. Any comments or suggestions to this idea?

A second idea was to buy a 2 piece spinning blank and adding two ferrules. This would be easy to do in the butt section, but how about the tip section? Would this make a large dead spot in the tip?

Thanks,

Ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod from fly rod blank?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2008 05:16PM

A blank is a blank is a blank. There is absolutely no reason you can't make any type rod you want from a 4-piece fly rod blank. However, be aware that few fly rod blanks possess very fast actions when compared to many spinning and casting rods. So you may not be able to find one that will suit you perfectly. At least not if you're after a very fast action.

You can make your own ferrules and no, there won't be a "dead spot" in the tip if you do this properly. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to even notice it's there by feel alone. Do you have Ralph O'Quinn's RodMaker article on making multi-piece rods?

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 06:34PM

Like Tom said, fly rods are going to act much differently. Just much more action and sensitivity, so be careful with what you get. I would get a slower action rod and you will most likely enjoy it very much.

Matt White

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:27PM

They're made exactly the same way as casting and spinning blanks, contrary to what many fly fishermen think. Not more action nor sensitivity - just slower action than most popular spinning blanks. What most companies term a fast action fly rod blank would be a medium action spinning rod blank. Another reason to use the CCS AA figure so you can compare apples to apples.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:27PM

I built many spinning rod using fly blank because i like to fish whit long rods.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:03PM

Sorry, i want to say you can use RAISHADOW RX8+ TRAVEL FLY BLANKS(4 sections ,fast) or RAINSHADOW RX7+(4 sections,med.-fast),RAINSHADOW RX8 TRAVEL(4 sections,extra-fast)
I was building for me many rods on med-fast blanks ALL STAR AUSTIN,very good blanks ,but now you can't find this blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:03PM

The Dan Craft FT blanks would be a good choice, Dan himself uses them for drift fishing. I've built them on other slower fly blanks in the past and they are ok, I only used them when I needed the transport length more than anything else. When Angler's Workshop built their IM6 TSH 86MH4 4 piece drift rod blank I quit using fly blanks. They are about the same price as the Dan Craft blanks.

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 09:03PM

this may or may not help. you will need a pretty heavy fly rod to translate. i had a rod built for me before i aquired the hobby. nine ft casting rod to throw popping corks and 1 oz. carolina rigs with 4 inch mullet. it was way too light for this use and i was unhappy. the builder converted it into a fly rod and it fishes 8 weight line beautifully.maybe you can reverse engineer this babble to see what size fly rod you would need, unsure of your power needed.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 02:04AM

This idea was something we were doing on the Great Lakes thirty years ago.

Do it!.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 02:37AM

I don't know first hand, but heard that the Manufacturer may not honor the warrentee. Maybe someone who knows first hand can chime in.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.86.213.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 08:24AM

Along with Dan Craft, check out Batson. A lot of possibilities

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 01:56PM

I have a 10 foot 8wt Rainshadow RX7 tied as a spinning rod for steelhead fishing and it is excellent. My friend has a 10 foot 7wt RX8 that is even better.
I use mine for bottom bouncing, tossing spinners and spoons in rivers and off break waters as well sa tossing flatfish and other wobbling plugs.
The RX8 is lighter, crisper and more sensitive than the RX7, is is also a little more $$$$.
I don't know about the warranty, but I don't care as they are not terribly expensive blanks.

RX7 rod build
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 21, 2008 06:23PM

I've built 2 spinning rods on fly rod blanks, a 6'6" and a 7'0", both 2 piece rods. I can say two things for sure, they seem to be very sensitive rods to fish on, and I highly recommend using the new guide concept (NGC) to keep the tip weight as low a possible to keep the rods as fast a possible, action wise. On the 6.6' rod I use 2lb test line, and it is a ball for trout fishing here in NC.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: October 22, 2008 02:10AM

The absolute best, light spinning bank ever available in Aus, (inmho) was the ,Mitsubishi,MR40-HR . 8 #.

This blank was a really great 2 piece fly blank.

It also built a great casting blank, to 3/4 oz lures.

Braid improved this blanks performance.'

I really like this blank. Sorry if I am seem to carry on.

Paul./

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster