I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about micro tops
Posted by: David Page (---.50.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 09:26PM

I understand that some of you all are splitting the tubes on the micro tops to make them fit the blank. How are you guys splitting it and also how are you covering the split so the blank isn't exposed? I can't find any photo's so if someone wouldn't mind it I would appreciate a picture of how they look finished. I've seen some of you talk about wrapping a guide on as a top, how well does this cover up the end of the blank? I hate to doit but again would someone mind posting a photo? I do appreciate any help.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about micro tops
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 10:54PM

David

See the following for explaination of spliting the tip: [www.rodbuilding.org]

IMO, using a guide for a tip works great if you are building a spiral wrap, but doesn't do so good if you build conventionally (on top) because of the appearance that your line can be abraided by the exposed rod tip. I tried it that way but my customers just simply revolted and I have to agree.

Please get back to me if you need more help. Sorry, no pictures posted yet but will be happy to do if appropriate.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: October 19, 2008 11:21PM

Bobby-
An idea occured to me as I was reading your and David's posts.......have you tried using the tube from a tip over the foot of a single foot micro? Depending on the height of the ring-you might be able to put the foot of the guide on the side of the rod opposite the line's path-leaving a smooth tube facing the line.

Chris

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:29AM

Chris

Haven't thought of that but I don't think the ring height would be adequate enough to accomplish its purpose. Also, the small BFAT tip has braces like a standard tip making it stronger than a guide.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 01:35PM

I agree with the BFAT tops as the way to go, as they are so much stronger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster