I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

State Quarter for handle bottom
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 10:16AM

Good Morning,
I have been thinking of using a Florida State Quarter for the bottom 9of a 7' popping rod. (w/ the palm trees showing of course) I was wondering should I just epoxie it to the bottom and taper the cork handel to fit it or inlay it into the cork? Also, what kind of finish sealant would you suggest using to cover it? I'm sure some of you have used your own state quarters in this mannor, just wondering how you did it?
Thanks in advance!

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: State Quarter for handle bottom
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 10:25AM

You are going to find that a quarter is REALLY large for a project like that ... a popping rod. It would require you to make the butt quite a bit oversized. However, it can be done. Make your butt cap separately and put it on AFTER the grip. This will allow you to invert the cap, put your quarter in place and then fill it with casting resin (hobby stores).

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2008 10:52AM

Some of the rubber but caps are indented and allow for a fairly secure mounting of coins and such. Or, you can take a cork or wood cap and inset the coin into that.

I wouldn't just glue the coin to the butt - you will need to inset it into the end of the grip if you want it to stay put for long.

Date: October 20, 2008 10:58AM

Thanks Jim & Tom,
Has anyone done as Tom suggests and used these caps? Does anyone know where I can get / buy them? This seems like the way to go, I knew you guys would know how to do it! Tom you are "Da Man" Thanks again!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 11:02AM

Hi Pete,

Contact Mike Barkley mbarkley@wowway.com He does alot of Quarters in the handle.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 05:44PM

I inlay quarters (or buttons, etc) in 90% of the rods I build.. The majority of my grips are split )wood, burl cork, acrylic or combos) [www.rodbuilding.org] I do mine on the lathe. A forstner bit can be used but I prefer using a parting tool with the grip on a mandrel so that the hole is perfectly centered (I clean up the inlay with a dremel) Stand the grip on end and epoxy the coin in the hole so that the finish doesn't run down the hole. When cured fill completely full I with Threadmaster or Diamondite. Comes out beautiful!! Since I do mostly split grips, I ream the grip enough before hand that I can slide it on from the rear. I've even done state quarters on U/L rods. Just flare the rear out enough to accommodate it. If you need any help, feel free to holler

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 06:49PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 06:32PM

I use one of those water color mixing bowls the kids use in elementary schools. Just lay the quarter in and fill with regular rod coat let them dry for at leart two days, pop them out and trim as needed. It works great jjust need epoxy them on after triming.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:51PM

Lots of options:

For best clear and non scratching covering - Perma Gloss, Swifty

Paint inside bore for contrast

Sterling Silver Or Gold Cuff Links or Coins make nice mount as well

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 08:53PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: October 21, 2008 06:28AM

Way Cool Guys,
Y'all are giving me all kinds of ideas now, your work is just unreal!!! Thanks Much> It was just an idea I was toying with but now I'm I'm definitely going for it! Bill, are those Fla. Gator rods? Go Blue & Orange!!

Snooker Pete

Date: October 21, 2008 11:20AM

The only recource for a Baton Rouge custom rodbuilder this year will be to "sell them rods - They are the ones that "set the hook on this Tiger a couple of weeks ago"! I will have to wait till next year!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you want some collegiate pins for the bottom of the butt caps go to your local golf specialty store like Edwin Watts and ask for some ball markers - perfect fit and easy to install - sell the pin and the rod separately - two bills of sale - and ask the customer if he wants you to install HIS pin. Do not associate the value of the rod and the value of the pin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2008 11:23AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: October 21, 2008 11:43AM

Sorry Bill,
Being fairly new here, I didn't know where you were from although I did see the LSU end cap you had in the picture. Yep, neither the Gators or the Tigers are doing as well as they have in the past couple years. Sorry everyone for being off topic but as long as we are talking football & rods, is there any copyright infringement problems when you build a LSU rod w/ their colors?? If I built a Gator rod in blue & orange and had a gator decal or something inlayed like you made would I have problems when or if I sold it? I concider myself a beginer right now but dag nabit, thats a great idea! Gator fans are crazy down here and loads of them fish!

Snooker Pete

Date: October 21, 2008 12:09PM

Any licenced item or copywrited logo can not be used on a custom rod that increases the added value of the rod without express permission of the licencing entity involved. The golf ball marker was not on the rod at the time of sale and the customer is provided the materials to install or I will install his pin for a fee. If you build a blue and orange rod and placed a copy of the approved Gator you could be subject to pay the appropriate licencing fees.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2008 12:29PM

THe methods posted work really well on the smaller rods with those style of butts. IF you wanted to do it on a heavier rod where you woudl use a Fuji BRC 22 sizebutt cap, here's an idea: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster