I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gorilla Glue to secure reel seat
Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:08PM

Has anyone used gorilla glue to mount a reel seat? I saw it advertised on a rodbuilding website. It seems to be light, waterproof, and it expands as it hardens. All these properties seem favorable for use in rodbuilding. Please let me know what you think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gorilla Glue to secure reel seat
Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:25PM

Gorilla glue is the worst thing that you can use for reelseats. Yes, it expands, but that will leave a mess when it hardens. More accurately when it hardens where you don't want it to. Its holding strength os lacking and will result in less than optimal holding strength over the long term. Go with Rod Bond and you will not need to deal with it again in the future.

Kevin

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:35PM

Rod Bond or Ultimate Gel. I would never use Gorilla Glue.

Date: October 14, 2008 10:38PM

OK, that is what I was thinking. I just saw it advertised and it stirred my interest.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 10:39PM

Like Kevin and Jay said! The stuff expands and keeps on expanding just like the little pink bunny. I would use Rod Bond or Ultimate Gel for the best results (My opinion) They both come in a quick cure (10 - 15 min) version and it doesn't take much and stays where you put it!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:13PM

Bill Stevens used the Sumo brand a while back without any problems when he developed a reaction to epoxy. I'm sure he'll see this in the morning and chime in.

Lance

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:37PM

I can't speak to the adhesion or durability issues but the last
person I know who used it said the clean up was so horrendous
that he would NEVER try that again!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 12:23AM

Scott,
It is not a bad idea to keep a bottle of Gorilla glue around for general purpose gluing that is NOT related to rod building.
Gorilla is a great glue for lots of different types of wood working chores, especially in framing applications and possible sheeting applications. Great tack, great holding and final bond strength.

However, as the other posts suggest, Gorilla glue expands, expands, and then expands some more.
If you decide to use this glue for ANYTHING - practice a bit on some scrap to get a feel for how much is required, tack strength, and expansion amount.

Also note the very very very difficult to clean up.
So, any use for this glue is best used in a place where any excess can be ignored and not cleaned up. For example hidden framing, sheeting etc.

I know of no good use for it in rod building, unless you wanted to use it correctly in building a shop table or some other possible tools.

As I said earlier, this glue is an excellent glue to be used for specific types of woodworking. Use it for THOSE applications only and you will be well pleased.

Note:
One example where this glue really excels is to use it to repair stick and spindle chairs. i.e. wood chairs, which use spindle bracing to hold them together. The expansion property of this glue makes it an ideal glue to use to repair chairs.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 06:51AM

I think Gorrila glue is a great product and use alot of it at work It should never be used for rod building. Very messy!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 07:34AM

Gorilla Glue proved to be unacceptable to me for rodbuilding. The Sumo Product is the same type of system that is high functional. This product does not have the same foaming characteristics and with a little practice can be used to intstall seats. Ralph O'Quinn reccommended this to me as a replacement for two part epoxy for those who are intolerant to amine systems. Do a search on this board and you will find considerable information.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: October 17, 2008 12:02AM

OK, but what if you use masking tape, one band a inch from each end. Then use a little GG in the center between the masking tape, and 10-15 minute epoxy on the ends. The epoxy will cure before the GG fully expands and the tape would act as a barrier. You would not need to use much GG since it expands so much. That way, it won't smear as you mount the reel seat. This is just an idea and I don't have plans to do this unless some people think it is a good idea. The goal would be to make this a solid mounted reel seat and make it as light as possible.

Date: October 17, 2008 12:03AM

Oops, double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 12:04AM by Scott Lamb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster