I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size 16, 20 stripper and line index?
Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 02:16PM

Hey fellas got 2 questions:

On heavy freshwater and light inshore baitcasting rods, do you prefer to use a 16 or 20 stripper guide on a 400 or 6500 size reel?

As for line index, how do you want the line to flow through the guides? That is to say, what is the position of the line in reference to the ring from stripper to tip?

Example, do you want the line to contact the stripper ring at top dead center or no contact at all etc?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size 16, 20 stripper and line index?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2008 05:24PM

I assume you mean the butt guide, not stripping guide. Baitcasting reel, correct?

On a very wide spool I might use the 20 ring, while on the standard or narrow spool I'd almost always use a 16 or 12.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 05:26PM

I prefer using teh smallest guide which will keep the line off the blank. If a conventional levelwind reel can have a size 6 opening, the stripper guide can be a heck of a lot smaller than the "standard". I've used size 12's on rods which I use Shimano Trinidad 14 reels. As long as the guide is highenough to prevent the line form hitting the grip/blanks, tehre's no problem casting. I only use braid, and I do have knots pass through the guides - 65# braid and 50# Mono with the leader being 15-20'.

Date: October 12, 2008 09:38PM

Thanks Tom and Billy for the replies.

Tom, can you give me a reference point what you mean by wide, standard/narrow spools in terms of reel size(s)?

Billy, so what you are saying is to use the smallest butt guide that will keep the line off the blank/grip while the rod is under load, right? Some of the rods I plan on building will also use braid/mono combos but much shorter lengths, less than 10 feet.

So let me ask then, if the line off the reel is "trapped" in the butt guide, that is the line is at top dead center but is bent slightly while it travels to the next guide, do either of you think that can contributed to any **noticeable** affect to casting performance? Or is that what you mean Billy?

For isntance, I mounted a Calcutta TE300 on a GLoomis ProBlue and noticed if I didn't pass the line thru the butt guide but thru the remaining running guides, the line would sit about 3mm above the butt guide. How it affects the performance I have no clue, but I am a little curious about the line bending going thru the butt guide and then the running guides.

OR to put it bluntly, am I overthinking this A LOT?! LOL!

Posted by: Jim Upton (98.112.212.---)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:09PM

You can do one of two things. Move the guide forward until the line is inside the guide (as long as it's not too far out) or use a high frame guide.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2008 10:36PM

A higher frame guide will help but most of the time on any casting rod the line touches the TOP of the butt guide ring. Reference the top roller on the butt roller of those type HD rods. And if it is OK on those, it will be AOK on all the other casting or conventional type rods. You would be hard pressed to ever get the line to sit at the bottom of the butt guide ring until you really put a good bend in the rod.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 09:32AM

Will, I know what you're saying. I don't know the MAnu of teh rods you are wrapping, but the ones I build on they usually bend pretty far down teh blank, so teh line touching the striper guidfe isnt a problem. I also spiral wrap almost everything, which never has this problem, but on straight guide set ups often what you say happens. As long as the line touches when teh rod is flexed, you're good.

Date: October 13, 2008 12:04PM

Fair enough fellas, all the reason and suggestions make sense.

Just wondering if how much more performance I can actually squeeze outta the rod by tweeking the little stuff.

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster