I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I GOT STARTED
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 09:32AM

I ORDERED A STARTER KIT FROM FLEX COAT TODAY. IT INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING:

1 HAND ROD WRAPPER
1 FINISHING MOTOR
1 STEP BY STEP BOOK
1 "HOW WE DO IT" DVD
1 HIGH BUILD 2 OZ KIT WITH 2 SYRINGES
1 4 OZ EPOXY GLUE KIT
TIP TOP ADHESIVE
GUIDE FOOT ADHESIVE
UTILITY KNIFE WITH 6 BLADES
12 FT ROLL OF REAMER ADHESIVE
THREAD AND LINE CLIPPERS
10 FINISHING BRUSHES
10 MIXING CUPS
10 MIXING STICKS

ALL FOR $165.00

NOW, WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD ROD TO START WITH? I WANT TO DO FLY RODS, PROBABLY A 8'6" 5 WT. TO BEGIN WITH. ANY ADVICE?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I GOT STARTED
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2008 10:02AM

You won't need to buy an expensive blank in order to have a very nice performing fly rod. There are so many good ones out there these days it's hard to narrow the choices down to just a few. Any of the value priced blanks from American Tackle, Batson Enterprises, Pacific Bay, CUI, etc., would be good places to start.

Date: October 09, 2008 10:20AM

TOM,

DO ANY OF THESE COME IN KITS, BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO CHOOSE GUIDES, GUIDE SIZES, ETC. WILL THE VIDEO AND BOOK COVER STUFF LIKE THAT? OR DO YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT RECCOMENDATION? I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP, I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY FRIENDLY PEOPLE, WILLING TO HELP YOU GET STARTED AT SOMETHING IN ONE PLACE. THIS FORUM IS GREAT!

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:16AM

Cabela's sells kits that include everything you'll need. I've never ordered a kit, so someone else will have to comment on the quality, but they do have very reasonably priced options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2008 11:16AM by Robert Russell.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:17AM

Brandon,
Watch the video, "How We Do It". It should answer many of your questions. Most (myself inculded) would advise against buying a kit. With a kit, you're limited by someons else's coices for guides ,seat, handle, thread color, and even placement of guides. Guide selection and placement are critical for maximizing the performance of the rod. Read the Library articles above, especially the one on Static Guide Placement. There is enough info in the Library, and in the pages of this forum to learn enough to build the first rod. Ask questions as you go, and learn to use the search feature on this forum.
Good luck, and have fun!
George

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:27AM

I agree with George on kits. They work but you can end up with a much better rod (and often cheaper) by selectng the components that YOU want on your rod. It's no harder to build a rod to suit your needs than it is to build a kit. Anyone of the vendors on the left will be glad ro talk you through putting together a "kit" that is based on what is best for YOU rather than a generic setup that is generally no different than the Wally World rod!!
While you are at it, order a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. It will be the BEST $15 that you will spend on this craft I would also urge you to purchase (when possible) from thos sponsors on the left as they are the ones that make this site possible.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:43AM

Brandon,

If you DO decide to start with a "kit", we just bundled 36 new Forecast & Rainshadow Fly kits and listed them on this page --> [] I think all of the 4wt's are 9', but we could easily "adjust" the kit to an 8'6" set-up.

There eare a good number of builders that start with a kit, then as they learn more about the craft, they will select their own components as mentioned above. One bit of advice for your first is don't try to build your "dream rod' right out of the gate. As you're building your first rod, light bulbs will be going on in your head as you start to "get it". Some of those light bulbs won't come on until your second or even third rod though... Don't expect perfection on the first one. I guess what I'm getting at is, don't spend a ton on your first rod.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: October 09, 2008 11:52AM

MARK,

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. DO YOU HAVE A KIT RECCOMENDATION FOR A 8' 6" 5 WEIGHT FOR A "FIRST ROD"? DEFINITELY WANT TO KEEP IT CHEAP BUT STILL HAVE A DECENT ROD.

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:53AM

Good luck with your venture, Mark, I awaiting delivery on my order, so I can get my first one started.

Roy

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:56AM

Good luck with your venture, Brandon. Sorry about that Mark... I was looking up at your post while typing to brandon and my head must've got stuck.

That's why there is a preview button:)

Roy

Date: October 09, 2008 12:03PM

YOU TOO ROY, SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE IN SIMILAR BOATS!

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:15PM

Nice work Mark I know that took you some time to put togther! Here is another sugestion with a few up grades in componets. Sorry no pictures please refrence our web site.

F865-2
Forecast RX6 Fly Rod Blanks

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # F865-2DB 8'6" 2 pc 5wt Travel Fly Rod - Dark Blue
Butt cap: n/a
Reel Seat: U3SKC-SG with U3-RI #U3 Uplocking Shiney Gunsmoke Skeleton with Cap-with Stabilized Wood Rosewood Laminate
Reel Seat Shim: n/a
Grip: FRHW7CA-250/760 7" Fly Grip .250 bore/.760 Reel Seat Cutout "A" Grade Cork
Winding Check: BWC08 Black PVC/Rubber Winding Check .300" I.D.
Hookeeper: HKS Small Stainless Steel Hook Keeper
Tip Top HFT5.0 Super Hard Chrome Fly Top 5.0 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) HSFGP Single Foot Fly Guide Super Hard Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) LTCUDUG UD guide with Light PVD TiCH Plating with PDV Blue TiO Coated Zirconium Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st HSFGP3 4"
2nd HSFGP3 9"
3rd HSFGP3 15"
4th HSFGP3 22"
5th HSFGP4 30"
6th HSFGP4 39"
7th HSFGP4 49.5"
8th HSFGP4 60"
9th LTCUDUG12 72"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: October 09, 2008 12:17PM

Brandon,

I'd suggest an F864 (either 2 or 4pc) for starters. We would take which ever of the F904 kits (choices 2 & 4 pc. blanks, choices of guide styles), sub the 8'6" blank and credit the order for the price difference in blanks.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.btas.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:57PM

the first rod i built was from cabelas. ordered a blank, set of guides, handle kit and thread chioce. every thing came with instructions and it turned out real nice at least for first rod. still have that rod and have used it a lot in the last 15 years. there are other companys that offer the same kind of kits and blanks.

Date: October 09, 2008 02:51PM

karry,

whats the price on that package?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 03:24PM

Brandon,

I would urge you to take Mark up on his offer. He's a Rod Builder himself an knows what he's doing. Aside from that, I have dealt with him and his wife Colleen, since waaayyyyy before they became a sponsor here. They are GOOD PEOPLE!!!!!! Visit them at their web site to the left @#$%& or follow the link he provided.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2008 03:27PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 04:13PM

Brandon,
Did you get my e-mail??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 09:03PM

MARK,

that sounds great mark but i want to do it in a 5 wt. would that be possible? can you contact me at my email address?

thanks,

brandon

Date: October 09, 2008 10:09PM

Sorry, typo.

Mail sent.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster