I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BROTHER P-TOUCH LABELER
Posted by: John Good (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:32PM

BROTHER P-TOUCH LABELER Can this be used to make a good label for rods? thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BROTHER P-TOUCH LABELER
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 03:59PM

John,

Here's an very good example of that very thing in the Photo section. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill in WV

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 07:05PM

Yes it can....I use it all the time. I do seal the area with CP after putting the label on prior to coating with finish.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 10:33PM

Hi,

I tried different methods of using this machine for lqabels. It sure seemed like a good way to go at the time. When finish was applied the label would lift, top piece from the bottom piece. I tried different things like CP but to no avail.

Now remember this was a few years ago. Finish formulas have changed but I have not revisited the idea. I have no need to as Decal Connection makes my decals and they enhance every rod they go on.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 11:55AM

Yes, you can use the lables but finish will lift the top covering and it will look as though you have bubbles in the finish. I have had some luck covering the lable with clear finger nail polish first then applying finish.

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 02:12PM

I have the very same Brother P-Touch labeler.

I seldom use it, but I am interested. I followed the llnk in Williams post and I liked what I saw but I'm a little confuse. well, maybe plenty confused.

The link led to a post which said Quote "Sorry about that, I forgot to rename the photo when I saved it after editing in photo shop. I use Photo Shop Elements, that's the only way I know how to move the text so that I can position it where I want it on the label. It's not that difficult once you know what all the tools in your photo editing software can do. I'm not very good at explaining how to do it but if you would like more info send me an email."

I take it that he use a Photo editing program in conjunction with The Brother P Touch. How would you do that.?? My labeler has no way to interface with my computer??????? and it imbosses on tape?????

sign me "Confused in the Swampland"

Roy

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 04:25PM

Roy you need to buy a Brother P-Touch that has a USB connecter to interface with your computer. It has it's own program that allows you to do a lot more. Also use zap-a-gap on the edges before the CP to stop lifting

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2008 05:16PM

Roy, if you have a Brother P-Touch 2600 label printer it should have come with a USB cable so you can hook it up to your computer. I use 1/2" TZ tape to make my labels. I use cp to seal the label before I put finish on, so far I have only had one that lifted from separation and that was my fault, I didn't make a clean cut on one corner when I trimmed it. The labels look pretty good but you can see them, I put them on my own rods but if a friend asks me to build them a rod and the blank doesn't come with a label or they want their name on it I just order them from Decal Connection. If you have any more questions just ask and I'll try to answer them. Don what is zap-a-gap and where can I get it. Thanks.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 07:12PM

Herb, zap-a-gap can be found at any quality fly tying shop. I have found that using it on 3wt. and below weight rods is a must, naturally because of the smaller diameter, but have gotten into the habit of using it all the time. I apply it with a bodkin. Have not had a problem since. Hope this helps

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2008 09:19PM

Thanks Don, I'll have to give it a try.

Herb Bickings

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 10:25PM

Thanks Herb,

The Labler that I have is a Brother P-Touch extra.. No USB port or any interface whatsoever.

Oh well I learned something new today!

Roy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster