I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Warped tip section
Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 12:49AM

The rod that I am currently working on is a two piece and the upper half has a pretty good bow in it. Other than putting the guides on the back side of the curve is there anything that I can do to remove the bow?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warped tip section
Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 01:05AM

I know that rods left in a hot car with the line pulled tight...like on a hook keeper will create a bow in the rod...I wonder if it is possible to do the same in the reverse to remove the bow...I'm sure others will chime in soon...I'd like to know the answer on this one too. you can always send it back too

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:32AM

If we're just talking about a bow or gentle overall curve, you're fine. If we're talking about a sudden crook or warp somewhere, that's a different matter and you may choose to return the blank to the maker for a replacement.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:12AM

Mike,
You say that you are putting the guides on the "backside of the bow".
It is difficult to understand, for everyones understanding - what the "backside of the bow" is>

If you have the rod standing upright, and the tip of the rod is facing you, and the bow is facing you, are the guides on the rod facing you, or on the side away from you?

In any event, I personally like to put the guides on the same side of the rod as which the bow is on. i.e. if the rod is standing upright and if the bow int he rod is facing me, I prefer to have the guides facing me.

My feeling is that it is not likely that the bow in the rod is going to go away. If the guides are placed on the bow side of the rod, the guides and line are then following the natural bend in the rod.

In particular, I have have so many rods that just after receiving the rod, the first thing that they do is to sight down the rod to insure that the guides are straight.
If the guides are placed on the bow down side of the rod, the guides will all naturally follow the rod and will appear to be in lane - actually are in lane, and casting will fimply follow the natural curve of the rod.

For the times that the guides have been placed on the bow up side of the rod, I have had clients ask that the guides be moved to the other side, since they seem to stick up - to the untrained, as well as trainded eye.

Take care
Roger

Date: October 08, 2008 06:53PM

I would describe the back of the bow as the convex side.

Date: October 08, 2008 07:06PM

You want the rod in a position, so that when using it, the rod is in a concave position. It's not wrong to do it otherwise, but I think you'll find it performs better if you do it this way.

Date: October 08, 2008 10:14PM

Are you saying to put the guides on the concave side? I thought that by putting them on the convex the stiffness from the guides would help straighten the blank.

Date: October 09, 2008 08:34AM

I'm saying to have the rod in the concave position when it's being fished. Where you put your guides will depend on whether or not it's a spinning or casting rod. But anyone viewing the rod from the side while you're fishing it should be seeing a concave curve.

By the way, guides don't stiffen a blank - they soften it due to their weight. And yes, that weight will tend to straighten the blank at the tip if the rod is in a concave position.

Date: October 09, 2008 05:44PM

Tom I have sent you an email, and thanks for the help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster