I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fuji plate type reel seats
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 06:55AM

I saw these plate type reel seats for sale at @#$%& so checked them out on the Fuji site. Neither explanes how to mount them or how they work. Can anyone explain? The look pretty cool!
Thanks!

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji plate type reel seats
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 07:44AM

WRap electrical tape or thread, or a combo of both.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:48AM

Yes, they are wrapped on.

If you look closely, the ends and the middle are relieved to allow wrapping so that the finished surface is relatively level and yes they can be very cool.

Terry

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:49AM

I've always used thread and epoxy finish. If you're not sure where you want to locate them, then do as Billy advised and use tape for a bit until you find the spot where you want to put it permanently.

By the way, they're very good seats. Much more solid and secure than you might expect.

Date: October 08, 2008 09:01AM

Do they wrap onto a cork or wood handle or the rod blank itself?

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 09:12AM

I used one on a dropshot rod. Wrapped it on w/ thread. Here is a pic.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2008 09:22AM

If the blank is large enough, they can be wrapped or taped onto the blank itself. Generally, they're used on cork, cork tape, cord or carbon fiber tubing.

Date: October 08, 2008 09:27AM

Thanks Tom, Terryt, Billy & Scott,
Is that a Fuji seat in the picture Scott? Now that is a COOL set up!

Snooker Pete

Date: October 08, 2008 09:42AM

THat is a carbon fiber handle made by Scott, with the plate seat holding the reel and wrapped on. That is a great job Scott did on that.

Date: October 08, 2008 09:51AM

Is the plate seat epoxied to the carbon fiber handle? It looks like only one wrap is holding the plate w/ the other two wraps being forward & behind it .

Snooker Pete

Date: October 08, 2008 10:09AM

[www.shofftackle.com]

3 wraps holding

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2008 10:12AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 10:13AM

For what it's worth, I've had good success doing what Tom said: wrapping and finishing them just like a guide. I've also found that I don't need to put a wrap in the middle of the seat -- using E thread on both ends results in a seat that is plenty secure, and I like this finished look much better -- I don't like the way the plate seats look with three wraps.

I love plate reel seats, but I only use them in circumstances where the OD of the rod is large enough for the seat to be mounted directly on the blank. When the blank is not large enough to accommodate a plate seat, I use a tube reel seat. I dislike putting plate seats over a grip like cork tape, though I freely admit that this is just a personal preference, and others like this kind of setup. I will say that my go-to surf plugging blank, which is built on a Rainshadow SU1087, has a Fuji plate seat, and I LOVE the setup -- it holds my Penn Slammer very, very securely, and I really like how the plate seat allows me to put my hand on the blank when retrieving a plug. With that setup and braided line, I can feel everything -- it's a wonderfully sensitive rod.

Plate seats are great when they're used in the right circumstances. They're not expensive, either, so you should buy one or two and see how you like them.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:17AM

Scott what size seat is that? Fuji lists a 3 sizes numbers 5, 6, and 7. I thought about using one on an ultralight that I built with a carbon skinned grip much like yours, but I wasn’t sure if the smallest seat would be small enough for the ultralight reel so I just wrapped it on with thread instead.

Posted by: David Fontaine (136.244.213.---)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:27AM

The plate-type seats can feel "wobbly" when used on heavier outfits, such as large surf spin or casting reels. At least when wrapped over cork tape. It is best to use them only when it is convenient, such as the location of the reel may be changed. Applying them directly to the blank may reduce this wobble feeling. I've had more complaints about them then for them. I'd use a standard reel seat and epoxy it if ever given the choice or my opinion was asked. You can use electricians tape to hold it on temporaily as some surf guys do.

Date: October 08, 2008 11:30AM

Sory about that dead link, I forgot no links there, so I reloaded here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: October 08, 2008 11:50AM

Hey guys,
Glad you like the seat. I will have to look at my records, but I think it is a size 6 plate seat. It is a Fuji. The grip is super comfortable, and the reel feels very secure. Like Billy said the grip is Fiberlass/Carbon sleeve over foam core. Airrus rods uses a plate seat on one of their spinning rods, it is a CAXIN seat. If anyone can get those I would love to get my hands on that reelseat, it looks nice. The Fuji is good also, not sure if anyone else makes a plate seat.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: October 08, 2008 12:13PM

Scott,
Thanks for the reply and again for the picture. One more question on the rod. With the blank exiting the back of the handle it looks like a split grip. Is it and do you have a picture of the whole handle set up? I'm just curious how you finished it of, I may be a copy~cat and build one for myself. I'm not a pro, just a new rod building addict!

Snooker Pete

Date: October 08, 2008 12:23PM

Hey Pete,
Yeah, that picture what when it was just mounted to a mandrel. I did build it as a split grip. I am not sure if it is in my boat or my shop. I'll take a look and get you a pic. I ended up using a 2.5" length of hypalon to make the butt grip. I have been doing that for most of my split carbon grips since I just dont have the patience to laminate a 2.5" section of grip. :-)

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 04:42PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Click on the picture when it opens to see detail of installation.

These seats compliment a spiral wound integral butt section with no additional grip surfaces present.

We will display this set up at ICRBE 2009 in High Point.

For more information use Contact Us @ .[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2008 04:48PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:23AM

Scott, you probably found this and decided to pass on it, but a company in China (Weihai Huixin Chemical Engineering; www.whfyf.cn/cp1_85_0.htm) lists 4 plate seats, including the Caxin, the Fuji, one dubbed ESC, and a nylon seat

– smc –

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster