I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WHERE TO LEARN?
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:42PM

I'M WANTING TO GET STARTED IN ROD BUILDING. WHERE CAN I TAKE CLASSES OR WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET STARTED?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WHERE TO LEARN?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:58PM

Arm yourself with good, basic information. The Flex Coat DVD, "How We Do It" should be on your short list of items to purchase before you do anything else.

Where are you located? You might consult the Rod Builders Directory above and see if there are any rod builders in your immediate area.

In February, the world's largest event for custom rod builders will be taking place in High Point, NC. There is a basic rod building class given there. It is free with the regular daily admission of just $10.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 01:47PM

Brandon,

You found the best place - Right here! At the top of this page are buttons for the Library, FAQ's, Glossary and Photo Pages (The Photo page requires you to register separately although you can use the same name/password that you use here) . A LOT of info there! Also use the SEARCH function here. Don't hesitate to ask questions here.

You also might want to browse the vendors that are listed on the left. Mudhole, in particular, has a section called Rodbuilding 101 that is helpful (you may also want to get their catalog as it's a pretty good resource).

I would strongly recommend a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman from one of the vendors on the left. It will be the best $15 you will spend on this craft!!

You need to unhide your e-mail address so that people may contact you directly. E-mail me at mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 01:48PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 02:36PM

Brandon-
One of the things I did when I 1st found this site was to start at the back of the book-there are 800 or so pages filled with many of the questions you have and they have been answered in at nearly as many ways. At the end of the day when I had read all the currently discussed topics-still starved for info- I'd go back and read 20 or 30 pages of previously discussed topics. You pick up a little something here, a little something there. You'll read many different ways of doing the same thing-after trying a few you'll settle in on one of them that works for you. I have not been doing this very long but even those who have will admit to learning something new just about every day. Good Luck, Chris

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 04:12PM

THANKS FOR THE REFERENCES. I LIVE IN SOUTHWESTERN VA (ABINGDON). THERE'S ONE GUY IN THE DIRECTORY FROM BRISTOL, VA, WHICH IS ABOUT 15 MINUTES AWAY, BUT HE GIVES NO CONTACT INFO.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2008 05:07PM

Check the Tackleworks.org list, too.

If you're that close to High Point, make sure you come down for the Expo. You'll have a great time - there is nothing else like this for custom rod builders anywhere in the world.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 05:31PM

Brandon,

Welcome aboard!! My late wife had family in Bristol, both on the VA side and the TN side. You may know them if your into the Bass circuit down there. Danny and David Mumpower. we used to visit them all the time. David took me fishing on Boone lake while we were down there one year. I caught the biggest fish of my life there, a Striper, but couldn't keep it, too small. Imagine that!! I also lost about a 6 lb Smallmouth because I didn't have drag on the reel I was using and didn't get to the back reel button quick enough. Anyway, if the gentleman's name is mentioned, just grab the phonebook and give him a ring!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 11:05PM

Get three books:
1) Dale Clemens' 1st and 2nd books
2) Tom Kirkman's rod building book, which has the best pictures and illustrations to guide you step-by-step through the process.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 01:16AM

Brandon,

I would go with all of the above. I think Mike has it in the right order. The Flex Coat DVD and Tom Kirkmans` book are both a must have. The only advise I can add is to start with a rod building kit. It has everything you need so you will not have quite as many decisions as to the components needed.

Good luck!!! It is a fantastic hobby and is very gratifying as your skills grow with each rod. My first one was down right ugly although it fished very nice.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: brandon edwards (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 08, 2008 09:27AM

OK GUYS THANKS ALOT FOR THE GUIDANCE. YOU'LL BE HEARING MORE FROM ME AS I GET STARTED.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster