I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need some guide size recomendations
Posted by: David Page (---.68.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 04:18PM

I've done a lot of modifying and repair on spinning rods but now I'm about to do my first complete build of one. The blank is a St croix 3s70mf and will be used mostly for shakey head, drop shot and weightless senko's. I know you are supposed to measure the spool of the reel to figure the first guide and I have the reel but I'm not exactly sure where to measure. Do you measure the bed of the spool or the outside edge at it's widest point? From there any other guide size recomdations would be greatly appreciated. He has made it clear to only use batson h rings or fugi alconite guides.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 04:19PM by David Page.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need some guide size recomendations
Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 04:48PM

Measure the diameter of the spool lip in milimeters. The stripper, or first guide should be approximately 1/2 of that diameter. Read the guidelines in the library section about the new guide concept for further instructions on guide sizes and selections. The new guide concept is a very effective way to set up a spinning rod for maximum performance. Good luck and post any further questions on this board for help. Greg

Posted by: David Page (---.68.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 11:32PM

I realize that the new concept method is the appropriate way to set guide size and spacing. The problem that I have is that I'm just hobbyist and I don't have $300 worth of spinning guides laying around to select the perfect guide. I'm basically just looking for a good starting place so I don't wind up having to buy 3 sets of guides to get the 1 set that is exactly right if that makes sense. I realize that the position that I'm in means that I'm probably going to wind up with a few extra guides that weren't right and I'm trying to limit that number as much as possible. Anyway I was hoping that someone would have some suggestions to at least get a good starting point. The spool is 41mm so I'm assuming that would mean a #20 guide would be the butt guide.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 01:23AM

Personally, I would start with something like a 20 or 25, a 10 and #6 fly type (BLAG) the rest of the way

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stephen Taylor (---.sealedair.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 01:44AM

You can build with the new micro guides if you would like. Start with size BLAG 10 set 18- 20 inches from top off spinning reel the a BLAG 8 and BLAJ 4 the rest of the way. I built a one like this on the same blank you are using.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster