I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Blank Help
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 03, 2008 10:11PM

My fishing buddy has a new daughter in law and I have been commissioned to build her a spinning rod.
Her and her new hubby will be trout fishing mountain streams for Rainbow and Brook Trout in the foothills of Wyoming. They will be using tiny Rooster Tails and Mepps Spinners. Traveling in on 4 wheelers. The rod needs to be maybe 6 ft, 2 pce. for packing in ( lot of bushes and trees on stream bank) . Needs to be about a 1 power.
I have looked at every distributor on the left and can find nothing but Black or Graphite color. He would like for it to look a little feminine. Anybody know of a Blue or Teal or Burgundy color in a 2 piece 6 footer. Or are we stuck with Graphite color.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Blank Help
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.139.119.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2008 10:39PM

Jay,
We carry the American tackle Matrix blanks that include a 6', 2pc., 1 power this blank comes on a deep forest green or a clear coated graphite color.
I won't waste your time posting all of the components that I would use and the guide spacing to use to build it but if you should need some assistance setting one up please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 10:47PM by Todd Vivian.

Posted by: Giorgio Peroldo (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2008 10:54PM

Paint it if you got time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 03, 2008 11:29PM

Jay,

Get a can of Duplicolor auto paint and clear coat, lightly sand it, put a coat of adhesion promoter on and go for it Some good info here [www.duplicolor.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 03, 2008 11:39PM

Hey thanks Todd. The Matrix is definitely an option. I overlooked that one.
Although I might should go up to about a 2 power because she will be using 6 lb test mono. Ultra lite might not be enough rod.

Giorgio; I have painted a few and they looked good , but I would really hate to mess this one up. Although a good option would be to tint some PG. I can do an fine job with the PG .

Date: October 03, 2008 11:45PM

We were typing at the same time Mike. When I paint one I use Dupliclor and the Clear Coat but I have never tried using the adhesion promoter. I will read up on it. Also, I havent had one in the field long enough to know how the paint holds up under normal use.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 12:14AM

Mike and Jay - any particular "flavor" of the Duplicolor paint? They have several lines and I guess I'm asking which ones work best for our rod applications. I'm familiar with the Alsa stuff but I'd surely like to try other paints just to see what the differences are.

thanks
Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: October 04, 2008 12:49AM

Russ; All they have are Auto colors. But there are some very pretty colors available. I was just reading up on the Duplicolor brand on the link that Mike posted. They have one now called Mirage. You get different colors depending on the sunlight and how you move it. Mike mentioned the Adhesion Promoter. This is new to me. It's especially made to use on plastics and fiberglass prior to painting. I have never seen any of it . But then I haven't looked many places. Got to get some of that. Read up on it at the link he posted, it's very good reading.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 01:34AM

The AmTack Elites are a dark blue, the Pac Bay Traditions are plum or sort of a burgundy color. CTS has a bunch of colors, and the Lamiglas G500 blanks are still dark blue I think.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2008 06:17AM

i have painted only one rod. I went to an auto paint supplier in my area. I told them what I was doing and they advised me to buy bumper paint. The reason being it will flex upon impact and does not chip as easy. They said I should have a can of Bull Dog. I never heard of it, and was told it was an adhesion promoter especially for plastics and rubbery type surfaces. They had a beach ball painted this way and kept hitting it back and forth over the counter. When I looked at it there was no flaking at all, the paint adhered to the ball the way they said it would. i used it and it works fine.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2008 09:22AM

Jay, I made a rod for my daughter a few years ago and used the plasticote pink(i think i got it at walmart). it has held up great so far. Lance at Swampland had a guy that was painting their stuff and did a great job. He had some nice white and you can never go wrong with the purple and gold ones he had. give him a call he may have some other ones as well

Geaux LSU Tigers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster